QUARTER BORE SST??

elkaholic

ok boys and girls; I've been getting some squeaky wheel greasing on a 25 SST to shoot the new 131 Blackjacks. It might be a good time with ADG brass now a reality.
Sooooo, how many people would actually build one? I suspect I could get close to 3300' with the right throat in it and a 26" barrel.......rich

One of my really good buddies (lives about 5 minutes from me) might be interested in building one, as long as I can load and fire-form brass for him. He's a hardcore old-school cartridge type of guy, who was looking for a .257 Roberts +P to teach his wife and his 2 daughters (5 and 7) how to deer hunt.

He was wanting to build something traditional, but I know something like the .25 SST might be more what he's looking for. He's looking for low-recoil (for the ladies), and whitetail stomping power. So, a .25 SST with the 131 Blackjacks might be something he'd be interested in.

I'll talk to him about it tomorrow.

257 Blackjack sent me 1 of his bullets, and it came in the mail today. I just got home not too long ago, so I havne't had time to build a dummy round with it, for my .25-06 AI, but will post up some pictures of the dummy round soon.

One of my really good buddies (lives about 5 minutes from me) might be interested in building one, as long as I can load and fire-form brass for him. He's a hardcore old-school cartridge type of guy, who was looking for a .257 Roberts +P to teach his wife and his 2 daughters (5 and 7) how to deer hunt.

He was wanting to build something traditional, but I know something like the .25 SST might be more what he's looking for. He's looking for low-recoil (for the ladies), and whitetail stomping power. So, a .25 SST with the 131 Blackjacks might be something he'd be interested in.

I'll talk to him about it tomorrow.

257 Blackjack sent me 1 of his bullets, and it came in the mail today. I just got home not too long ago, so I havne't had time to build a dummy round with it, for my .25-06 AI, but will post up some pictures of the dummy round soon.

Where does a guy get the ADG SST brass and how much are they going per 100?

ok boys and girls; I've been getting some squeaky wheel greasing on a 25 SST to shoot the new 131 Blackjacks. It might be a good time with ADG brass now a reality.
Sooooo, how many people would actually build one? I suspect I could get close to 3300' with the right throat in it and a 26" barrel.......rich

I will build a 25 SST but first I have to chamber a 25 WSSM to report what it can do with the 131 ACE. We will then rechamber to 25 WSSM IMP, do some load workup to see how it runs, and then finally I can use my Impact 737 for the 25 SST. : )

25 WSSM.jpg

Well if you are going to build a rifle around basically a single bullet for LR, Richs SS case would be the best choice IMO.

The reason for this:
It has seemed to shoot every bullet tried into nice tiny groups. Not sure I would chance that with some other case designs that seem to be hit and miss with bullets it works well with.

Rich
Have you gotten some samples of the BJ bullet yet to start looking at neck and throat spec? It looks to be a solid bullet choice as it has the same ratio for BC and weight as the 105 6mm and the 140-147 6.5. Its the same weight for caliber ratio as those. Given this It should do well. Just make sure it will handle the top vel without jacket issues as the barrel warms up and throat roughens up.

Look forward to seeing if this if you get enough confirmed commitment. I would like one for its uniqueness, as 1/4 bore are never thought of in LR, and for good reason. This would change that.

Well if you are going to build a rifle around basically a single bullet for LR, Richs SS case would be the best choice IMO.

The reason for this:
It has seemed to shoot every bullet tried into nice tiny groups. Not sure I would chance that with some other case designs that seem to be hit and miss with bullets it works well with.

Rich
Have you gotten some samples of the BJ bullet yet to start looking at neck and throat spec? It looks to be a solid bullet choice as it has the same ratio for BC and weight as the 105 6mm and the 140-147 6.5. Its the same weight for caliber ratio as those. Given this It should do well. Just make sure it will handle the top vel without jacket issues as the barrel warms up and throat roughens up.

Look forward to seeing if this if you get enough confirmed commitment. I would like one for its uniqueness, as 1/4 bore are never thought of in LR, and for good reason. This would change that.

The 25 SST will probably be a little too hot for my uses but that means it will line up perfectly with most everyone else's lol and be a stud of a flat shooting, hard hitting, low recoil hunting round.

I can't wait to chamber one - it makes me want to skip the WSSM machining and testing I need to do...

The 25 SST will probably be a little too hot for my uses but that means it will line up perfectly with most everyone else's lol and be a stud of a flat shooting, hard hitting, low recoil hunting round.

I can't wait to chamber one - it makes me want to skip the WSSM machining and testing I need to do...
I hate to say it, for the WSSM fans, but for me personally, I would skip it, and go straight to Sherman, SS, and SST. :D

Personally, I'm more of a Sherman and SS fan. So I would be more inclined to buy a reamer and die set for .257 Sherman (basically an even more improved version of the .25-06 AI 40º) where the bearing surface stops at the base of the neck, is sitting .015" off the lands. ;) That's just how I would set my reamer up, being that the 700 LA still has plenty of room for that cartridge to grow, even seated that far out. With just the boat tail poking down into the case, you won't lose enough capacity to even worry about.

Last edited: