QUARTER BORE SST??

Steve don't need any help but it seems that you're the one being the total dick here. He posted #28 FYSA and asked you a simple question in #29 and you got bent out of hell. A simple modest and civil response would have been suffice.

Rich, sorry your post got tainted unnecessarily. Cheers!

Now, let's move on forward and respect the OP.

Ed
Never said Steve needed any help, Steve knows his stuff, never once said he didn't. I used to have alot of respect for you and Steve... The snide and undermining, seemingly generic comments, drawing me into looking like a dick by retorting to them, is getting old.

I have the absolute UTMOST respect for Rich... He's a super nice guy, knows his stuff, doesn't mind conversing about his ideas, and has never once been an a-hole to me.

I'm fairly easy to get along with... Don't be a dick to me, and I won't be one in return, don't lie to me, don't cheat on me, and don't steal from me. That's pretty much the bottom line for getting along with me...Even in real life. Fairly simple concept that seems to be lost on many these days.

There's a decent amount of focus on getting better performance from the 338-416 type cartridges and a lot of that has to due with inefficiencies in the 408 type cases and the amount and type of powder involved. That being said, this is a small group of tinkerers while the majority of folks are concerned first about bullets and powder.

That's why Tubb is bringing out his Tubb XC (Xtra Capacity) cases soon. The ELR game will be advancing over the next few years and it will be exciting to see what comes out of it. Just like all paradigm shifts there will be the hangers-on tied to the components on hand and there will be guys who create a better mousetrap, although at a lot of invested time, revisions, headache, and $$$ expense.

That's where you bullet guys come in! The only way to get more performance out of some of these cartridges is to improve the technology that's out there. Monolithic bullets have done a lot to help change ELR because they provide a (relatively) cost effective way to design,test and manufacture new bullet designs. As more makers of conventional cup and core bullets, like yourself, step up offer new products it gets even better. The only downside is having to use extra fast twist barrels. When I burn out my 2 338/408 barrels I'll replace them with 1-7" twist barrels instead of the 1-9" and see about having somebody make me a 330+ grain 338 bullet.

The only way to get more performance out of some of these rounds now is with heavier bullets. Rounds like the 338 SnipeTac are maxed out with available powders unless you start getting into extremely heavy for caliber bullets. You can get similar performance by dropping down in case volume to match the case to the powder and bullet combos available. There's no replacement for displacement, until you've reached the limits of your fuel.

Never said Steve needed any help, Steve knows his stuff, never once said he didn't. I used to have alot of respect for you and Steve... The snide and undermining, seemingly generic comments, drawing me into looking like a dick by retorting to them, is getting old.

I have the absolute UTMOST respect for Rich... He's a super nice guy, knows his stuff, doesn't mind conversing about his ideas, and has never once been an a-hole to me.

I'm fairly easy to get along with... Don't be a dick to me, and I won't be one in return, don't lie to me, don't cheat on me, and don't steal from me. That's pretty much the bottom line for getting along with me...Even in real life. Fairly simple concept that seems to be lost on many these days.

You do this to yourself all the time and have yourself to thank for.

You do this to yourself all the time and have yourself to thank for.
:rolleyes: 9.9/10 times mine are about inanimate objects (cartridges, guns, dies, companies, etc...)...Not people.

Now, I'm done responding to this crap, because it's ruining Rich's thread. I'm not the one who started personally attacking people in here. But I'm going to end it.

Sorry Rich.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: 9.9/10 times mine are about inanimate objects (cartridges, guns, dies, companies, etc...)...Not people.

Now, I'm done responding to this crap, because it's ruining Rich's thread. I'm not the one who started personally attacking people in here. But I'm going to end it.

Sorry Rich.

Despite what you claim yourself to be, we all know humility is never your strong attribute but you set your own tone in your #29 response that led us to where we are now. You started it, so it is just appropriate for you to end it.

Now, moving right along ...

Last edited:
Well, it looks like there is enough interest in a 25 SST to get the ball rolling. I do think it will be a very exciting cartridge with multiple application. Also, it finally gives the 25 caliber guys something to look forward too ; thanks to some bullets that meet the need like Blackjack and Hammer. I'm pretty sure it will run the 131 and 128 at 3300' with the right powder in a 26" barrel. PRS speeds of 3150-3175 should be easy to attain at moderte pressure with the Backpack and the Hammer at around 3300' would be just that on some pretty good sized animals. It's amazing how well this forum runs when we all work together! Thanks for all the input guys. I will get a reamer going as soon as I get the Blackjacks. If you have an extra Hammer laying around, it might be good to see how it compares for throating Steve. I am working on a deal with Forster to run some sst style dies, so the 25 could be produced along with the 6 and 6.5
The SS would be a little faster than the sst but I think, all things considered, the sst will fit more needs and will have no lack of performance doing it.

Last edited:
Rich,

In the 6.5SS recall the high vel from rl33 with the 150+ bullets? I think you ran it with the 160 matrix. I had used it in 6.5wsm for friend with the 150 SMK in a LA 28". It topped his H1000/rettumbo by 100+ fps. Given the smaller bore to same powder ratio this could be the goto powder for max vel for the heavier 25 cal bullets. If you look at bullet weight to bore ratio it should work tops for the 6sst 105-115s. The 25 cal ss and sst my guess is it would be tops for the 131 as well. For max barrel life I would think N160 N165 before H1000. To bad rl33 is such a large stick but I have gotten very good accuracy with it as have many others. It seems to be an equal to VV N570 both vel and effect on throat life. In general with these short mag based cases and smaller bores it seems rl26 rl33 crank the highest vel and N160/5 h1000 best barrel llfe with good vel.

You load up that test 25SS with a max dose of rl33 we will soon see just how tough the jackets are on BJ 131s :D

I have run RL33 in the 6.5 ss with a 160 Matrix past 3100'. You can even use it down to 140 at 3300'.
It proved to be a little too slow in the 6 sst and maxed out of capacity just below 3400 with low pressure behind a 110 Sierra. Retumbo reached almost 3500'.
It may work in the 25 if I can put enough throat in it and still keep a reasonable mag length?

Rich,

Our 257 Bee is a saami spec. Nothing changed. Built on a Rem factory long action with a 24" Excaliber barrel. Bedded into one of Stocky's composite tactical stocks. Topped it with a Sightron S-Tac 4-20 with moa reticle.

Will get you out a couple of the 128's today or tomorrow.

Steve

That rifle was very impressive when we went to Africa. Was loaded with our 116g Sledge Hammer and took 7 plains game trophies. From impala to zebra to an 1800 lb eland bull. Frankly it was beyond our expectations. I'll send a couple of the Sledge Hammers too. For guys running under 500y it is the perfect bullet.

Steve

Despite what you claim yourself to be, we all know humility is never your strong attribute but you set your own tone in your #29 response that led us to where we are now. You started it, so it is just appropriate for you to end it.

Now, moving right along ...
Happy, now that you've had the last say so? You ought to be a preacher. Because your lofty theoretical commentaries exceed your lower level critiquing posts.