Quantico Modified F-Class - w/pics!

trebark

What better way to celebrate Independence Day than with some long range lead slinging!

Today, jmason and I made it out to Quantico MCB for a modified F-class match. Essentially the 'modified' aspect means you can shoot just about any type of rifle or caliber. All shooting is prone. Here's the course of fire:

800 yards: unlimited sighters, 15 rounds for score, 30 minutes.
900 yards: two sighters, 15 rounds for score, 20 minutes.
1000 yards: two sighters, 20 rounds for score, 20 minutes.

We had unusually good conditions. 70 degrees, cloudy skies, occassional drizzle and as little wind as I've ever seen on the base.

jmason shot his 270Win with 150grain VLDs. Other than the one bullet that got stuck in the rifling when a cease fire was called, his rifle performed well. I took out my new 308 for its first match shooting 175SMK.

jmason shot great! If I remember correctly, he shot 462 and 6x (possible score = 500). This crushed my score of 455 and 4x. My score came apart at the 1k line where everytime I shot close to a line, it was always on the lower point side of the line.

Here are some ubiquitous pics of guys with rifles and spotting scopes:

jmason on the rifle and me spotting the shots:

F-ClassMatch001.jpg

.280fan on the rifle and jmason on the spotting scope:

F-ClassMatch002.jpg

jmason on the spotting scope, sporting his bada$$ LRH.com shirt!

F-ClassMatch006.jpg

Shooters at the 1k line:

F-ClassMatch011.jpg

F-ClassMatch009.jpg

Good shooting guys...
The course of fire sure gives you plenty for your money. I'm surprised you didn't run into BuffaloBob.
I've been trying to get there for a few years, but just can't seem to make it for one reason or another.

Thanks for the pictures.

That was my First F-class and it was a REALLY good time. I had Great company too! I would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of giving F-Class a try to DO IT! It was very casual and that made it comfortable for a 1st timer. .280fan is a good dude and I want to publicly thank him for putting me up at his place and putting up with me for a day and a half! BTW my score was 467/6X:D. Don't know if that's any good or not as I didn't wait till everyone else was done since I had a 5+ hr clip home.

Special thanks to to Roy for helping me out with getting hold of the bullets for the match. The 140gr BTs I was shooting prior were not up to it!

Boy if you didn't see I was on a chair in that one pic you'd think I was on the thrown:D:D!!!:D:D:D

jmason...sorry dude, didn't mean to short-change you on your score. Just couldn't remember other than you crushed my score. I'm going to put some of my 1k inaccuracy on a dirty bore. I realized now that by the time we got to 1k that my rifle had about 100 rounds threw it without being cleaned.

joel....we had actually planned on meeting Buffalobob there, but his wife took him on a trip out of state. The next f-class match will be next month. I'll drop you a PM when the date is confirmed. maybe if we get enough people from this board, we could enter as the LRH.com team.

jmason...sorry dude, didn't mean to short-change you on your score.

I just saw on another board that the young lady that was there shot in the high 480s her father was in the low 480s and someone shot a 491! Hellllloooooooo humble pie!

What board? I emailed one of the organizers of the event and asked if they would be posting all the scores in some way.

I just saw on another board that the young lady that was there shot in the high 480s her father was in the low 480s and someone shot a 491! Hellllloooooooo humble pie!

Here are the match results:

F/Open

1. 491-17
2. 491-14
3. 490-15
4. 489-11
5. 483-9
6. 482-15
7. 475-11
8. jmason 467-6
9. 467-3
10. 462-6
11. 461-4
12. 459-5
13. 448-6
14. 383-0
15. 369-0
16. 354-2

F/TR

1. 483-15
2. 471-14
3. 467-8
4. 467-5
5. 466-11
6. 466-8
7. 464-9
8. 462-7
9. 461-8
10. 461-6
11. 461-1
12. .280fan 455-4
13. 435-1
14. 414-3

What board? I emailed one of the organizers of the event and asked if they would be posting all the scores in some way.

It was MD shooters. The final results weren't posted there. Just some people talking about there scores.

dirtball:
I think you're right. My understanding is that f-class matches are the first sunday of the first full weekend of the month.

Another F Class shoot. Here`s another site www.nra.org.uk. Later this week there will be a shoot and you can follow it from this website.

South Africa is competing in Vancover BC next week to more or less the 20th Aug.

Enjoy!gun):):):)

Congrats Jannie Els - South African Captain on your and your team`s achievements at the British Open.
It seems those Broughton Barrels and practise are a great combination. LOL.

I think the Yanks better watch out at Raton New Mexico in 2013 (The next World Championships).:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.