Quantico Marine Base - Virginia

Buffalobob

The Quantico Shooting Club operates at the Quanitco Marine Base and has different range facilities.

Their website is Quantico Shooting Club

Associate membership for non-military personnel is $80 per year. Non-members can pay $10.00 to shoot.
Range 4 is the 100 - 1000 yard range. There are no benches. It is all prone. Check their website for when it will be open. For Recreational Fire you should bring your own target and holder.

It is very easy to get into the Marine Base as long as you have ID. The Marines are not worried about terrorists because they have lots of guns and bullets and are very bored.

fclass9.jpg

fclass6.jpg

Well, I was racking my brain for who lives nearby that is so obnoxiuos as to be unregistered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Next F-class shoot will be in June. I will probably be there with my son. I don't shoot when he is there because I don't want to embarrass him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It is very easy to get into the Marine Base as long as you have ID. The Marines are not worried about terrorists because they have lots of guns and bullets and are very bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well boys there is a new sheriff in town. The new provost marshall (hard charging, shaved head, gung ho Marine Colonel is the no prisoners type) just announced new spot inspections and tightened security measures today at the weekly staff meeting. It seems that the CG does not want what was planned for Fort Dix to happen here.

OK, you can still get in going to Range 4. Be ready for "spot inspections" of vehicles looking for contraband, drugs etc. They will be using dogs. That includes concealed weapons. NO CCW permits are valid on military installations. Caught with a pistol loaded and not in a case in the trunk, you will be charged and go to Federal Court in Fairfax.

What is the date in June, maybe I can make this one? My M40 replica is zero'd at 1k and waiting.

The problem with the QSC and Associate memberships is that that must maintain a certain ratio of active duty military to civilians and there normally is a long civilian waiting list. Active military, retired, NG, DOD employees, Reserve no problem, can get right in. However, they are short of qualified EMTs/current military medics to provide range medical coverage and Range Safety Officers so that might move you up the list.

You can go to the Quantico Shooting Club website and download an application and send it in. You cannot just show up for a Rec Fire day and shoot, you must be a QSC club member by the bylaws and agreement the QSC signed with the Base.

BH

I joined this past Saturday (19 May 2007) and was told there was an available Associate Member "spot" as I joined.

As stated, for Active Duty military, retired and a few other categories (don't quote me: breech birth, one short leg, folks that eat tater-tots, etc) there's not the associate member list, just a regular type member @ $68.00/annum.

This is what I know about the next match.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Guys and Gals,

Just got a confirmed date of June 24th for the next match.Hope to see youall there.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily, Steve (Prospector) posts info about Quantico on Snipers Hide under S3 "competitions"

I e-mailed the club info address today and asked if DOD contractors were eligible as regular members. Does anyone know, or is it DOD government civilian only?

Franky...concerning a security issue for Quantico....I think the present CG has his head in the right place requesting ID and club membership proof before coming on base and is to be commended for his thinking! 100% of the remaining bases in the US should follow his example! Sad to say...the majority of locations which might need to be more secure...have leaders that have their heads so far up their rear ends that ....well...it's dark up inside there and very difficult to observe what's going on!!

Hi Bob,

How's it going? We've met at R-4, maybe it was March 18. . . I occasionally help Sean with the rifle classes, etc. and was down to help out with the Wounded Warrior Garand/DCM shoot on R-305 a few weeks back.

I was there this past Sunday too, shot some break-in/test groups on R-305 awhile, then went over to R-4 for 600 & 1k.

I've been going to QMCB for several years and have always showed my club card and D/L at the gate. Never been checked, always that chance.

How are you doing Ed.

It is refreshing that the Quantico Marines are one of the few groups of people in the nation that don't crawl under their bed trembling every time a leaf falls off a tree. I have never been checked. I suspect the gate guards look at my DC plates and then the bumper sticker and then my grey hair and decide that I am not much of a threat to national security. That is insulting in a way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the Wounded Warrior Garand/DCM shoot is a really fine thing and everyone is doing something to actually help the kids.

Looking forward to June F-class. Hope Bounty Hunter and Dave King bring their old time sniper rifles. That would be fun to watch them shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

we had an interesting occurence at one of the gates couple years ago.

With I-95 bisecting the base it seems lonely travelors (often with drugs) like to get off and come to the gates. One night it seems that one was at the gate and decided to run through it on the Mainside instead of being questioned. Bad mistake, little did he realize no place to go and only two exits, both guarded by armed Marines.

After chasing him around a while, they herded him back to the back gate which was barricaded at this time. He rams the barricade, which wrecked his car, got out with a pistol and started a shootout and running through the woods. One of the MPs shot at him 9 times with a Beretta M9 hitting him once in the arm. Next day I was discussing the incident with the PMO and in a friendly Army/Marine jab at each other, I commented that he needed to run that Marine back to the range after 9 shots and only hitting him once, where as the PMO stated "You don't think that he was standing still do you?"

Since then, M4's Shotguns and other appropriate weapons have been added to the mix for guards.

BH

Well, I sent in my membership form along with my DD214 showing Vietnam service to qualify for the 'combat zone' category, and got my membership card in the mail today. I always knew that year in 'nam would come in handy for something some day.

The 1000 yard range will be open on Sunday from 9:00 on. You will need to come at 9:00 if you want to check your 100 yard zero. As time goes by we move on back so you have to shoot from where ever we are.

This will be great opportunity to check the drops on new loads and to test new equipment. Hunting season approaches and it is not every week you can get access to such a facility.

You will need to bring your own targets and stands!!!!!

All of you goofy gun people are welcome to come and provide entertainment for the rest of us.

The price for non-members is $10.00. Remember to bring your possum sandwiches because there is nothing to eat there except humble pie.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.