Quandry about a specialty pistol for deer

BountyHunter, I was told that this bill would not supersede any previous regulations, just add to them. But, I agree, it's better to wait to see what happens. The Guv has about a week to ten days to sign it or it goes thru as it stands.

Under the previous regs, 10mm wasn't legal. I believe due to the case length. (Less than 1.16"?)

BountyHunter, I was told that this bill would not supersede any previous regulations, just add to them. But, I agree, it's better to wait to see what happens. The Guv has about a week to ten days to sign it or it goes thru as it stands.

Under the previous regs, 10mm wasn't legal. I believe due to the case length. (Less than 1.16"?)

You can be "told" a lot of things. The bill supercedes talk if passed and signed. It is what it is in writing and nothing else.

OK, so what did you decide?

And if you buy/build something meeting guidelines now, would it not be grandfathered?

Just curious. How in the sam hill did they pass such a crazy statute?

Larry
Tinkerer

OK, so what did you decide?

And if you buy/build something meeting guidelines now, would it not be grandfathered?

Just curious. How in the sam hill did they pass such a crazy statute?

Larry
Tinkerer

I decided that I didn't have to build a specialty pistol. Here's what happened.

Typically the DNR makes the game laws. They waffled last year when the (should we add rifles to the allowable deer take equipment) was split on public input.

So, a senator introduced a bill that would make rifles legal starting Fall 2016, run thru 2020 and it also forced the DNR to keep good records on the take. Private property only. After a couple of re-writes, it was decided that they would list 5 calibers in the bill. Now I quote - ".243, .30-30, 30-06, .308, .300" And that is how it passed. So, now it went to the "clean up the wording" committee. They punted and did nothing. There was conjecture that it was supposed to read .243 Winchester, 30-30 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum.

So now it is in the DNR's hands and what they determined is that since those 5 "calibers" were listed, that ANY rifle that shot a .243 or .308 bullet would be legal.

They made a list of about 85 different actual cartridges that would be legal, but some are .312". Anyway, if I wanted to use a .300 Ultra Mag in a rifle it would now be legal. BUT, you cannot use anything that throws a .270 or 7mm bullet (for instance).

It was a case of not enough smarts between the ears to properly name cartridges by the senators, so the DNR said O.K. then, here is what we will allow.

Here is the link to what the legislature wrote and got passed:
https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-afa20d5e

Here is what the DNR reply was:
http://wildindiana.com/a/dnr-gets-clarification-new-rifle-law-deer-hunting/

Sounds like "A well organized mass of confusion, based on gross SWAG misinformation, with a touch of well practiced anal retentiveness".
Nevertheless, Good luck in the field.

I got a Thompson pro hunter action custom worked by Bullberry Barrel Works in Utah. First class work. Grip is made to fit YOUR hand. Custom barrel, trigger work etc. Shoots better than a lot of rifles. Yea, its fun when you outshoot the guy next to you. Worth the look. Find it on line.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.