Quality Scope Mounts On A Budget

stifle

Just Finished Getting My New 300 Rum Set Up With The New Trigger And Break Etc. Is There Anyone With Any Advise About Good Quality Mounts That Won't Break The Bank. I Am Mounting A Nightforce 5.5-22 56 And That Sort Of Ate Up Some Of The Budget As You All Well Know. I Want A Good Buy On Rings And Mounts. That Said I Would Rather Put Expensive Ones On A Credit Card Then Buy Junk.
I Would Like To Know If Anyone Have Had Any Luck With Rings Such A Burris Exteme And Bases Like The Ior. I Dont Want To Spend The Money On Badger Or Nightforce If I Dont Have To But At The Same Time It Is Pointless To Spend 1500.00 On A Scope And Have Mounts That Are Inconsistent. Thanks For The Help Fellas
Ron
22-250 Ackley
243 Ackley

Stifle I have been using Evolution Gun Works bases and TPS TRS series rings for a few years now on a couple of guns and I am very pleased with both. As far as rings go I don't believe you can beat the TPS's for the money(probably not for twice the money).

I've seen all capitals and all lower case in posts before, but capitalizing every word is a first for me.

I have the Burris Extreme rings on a .308 and they are rock solid. That being said, the recoil of the .308 is nothing compared to a 300RUM.

Another thing you will want to consider is the tolerance between rings and bases from different mfg's. While most might assume any picatinny base will match any picatinny ring, is is often not the case. If you can, test fit the bases and rings you want to use before you buy them, or at least talk to someone knowledgeable who has used that combo before.

I put the Burris X-Tremes on my .300 Win Mag Sendero. ROCK-SOLID. Though it is tricky getting all six screws adjusted correctly and the are pretty long so as long as its not a short scope you should be fine.

LUCAS

I got some steel HRT rings from Brownells, for a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20X. These are machined to such close specs that lapping isn't supposed to be necessary. (Well, assuming your 2 piece base is parallel...)

I put them on a Warne Maxima base set for a MRC 1999 (same hole spacing as Win M70) and, surprise, lapping tool dropped right it. Lapped it a little just for form, but I think the mfgr's claim is pretty good.

Still working on bedding the barreled action into the stock, but the scope was less work than I thought it was going to be.

I like the HRT's. They are rugged without being extremely heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.