Quality scope for long range mountain rifle

I've always been a leupold guy, but bought a march 2.5x25x52 a couple years ago for my lightweight carbon 300 rum. So far that scope has been flawless, I pack it around in the brush, strap it on my pack use it for a walking stick on steep slopes ECT. Always holds zero. Tracking seems good, great glass, and lightweight.

Questioning whether one can denote difference in 4x and 5x on bottom end, but Hell of a difference on top end 16x versus 25x. Don't have to use all the top end but it's there if needed for unexpected extreme long shot or for confirming target quality.
Never missed or unable to shoot an animal due to too much or need more on top end. The other end too much or not low enough on lower end has cost me two bulls (only thing that really matters to me now) and a few deer. Then again....I'm not putting some of these "tanker trailers" on my hunting rifles for anything I will eat or have to pack anymore than a mile. My current favorites at 2-12, 3-15, 3-18 with a 40's or 50's Obj. Try to keep them in the 20-25oz range.

What about the trijicon tenmile? It comes in about 25 oz in 3-18x 44? I was looking at this possibly for my next light weight build Or maybe a v4.

What about the trijicon tenmile? It comes in about 25 oz in 3-18x 44? I was looking at this possibly for my next light weight build Or maybe a v4.
No clue for me on the larger scopes....only Trijicon stuff I have used are many different red dot sights and low power scopes on AR platforms. Again, for me and what I did and do with them.....not worth the cost v performance compared to others. That being said they are the sight I have on a couple guns because of the non-power requirement.

Questioning whether one can denote difference in 4x and 5x on bottom end, but Hell of a difference on top end 16x versus 25x. Don't have to use all the top end but it's there if needed for unexpected extreme long shot or for confirming target quality. Dad always referenced the old adage, "Better to have and not need rather to need and not have." :) :)
Well, it depends on where you are hunting. Out west in open country or sitting on a bean field, I would agree. But hunting whitetails in the woods? Absolutely I can tell a difference, and I own both. The FOV at the lowest power is 50% larger with the 4x than 5x.

One could also use your Dad's adage on the low end for woods hunters.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time researching scopes for a light weight elk rifle I had built a couple years ago. In spite of mixed reviews I went with a 3-18 VX6HD. After 3 trips back to the manufacturer I sold it and went with my first choice, a NF 2.5-10x42. Problem fixed. It tics all of your boxes and I've used a couple of them too shoot marmots as far as 796 yards. Weight about 20 oz.

NF is indestructible but wouldn't be my choice for a LW hunting rifle.

MK5 3.6-18x44 would hands down be my number 1 choice. Currently switching out all my NXS's for Mk5's on rifles I'll be using for hunting.

If you have the budget for a new March 3-24×52, think about saving a few extra pennies and get a Tangent Theta TT315M or TT315H.

I had a March F 3-24×52 for 2 years. Great scopes for a lighterweight hunting rifle. But I ended up selling it and getting another Tangent TT315M. Sure, you lose 9x on the top end, but glass is night and day better with the TT315M, enough to make the loss of 9x top end worth the price. I shoot them out to a mile on steel often. 1400+ at least once a month.

Have shot coyotes out to 1k easily, and even jacks at 1100+.

If you are considering the Kahles K624i, think about the K318i or K525i also. I had a K624i for years. Good scope for sure. I have a K318i now, and think the newer glass is better than the old K624i.

The suggestion of a S&B PMII 3-20×50 Ultra Short is a great one. I have one, and a 5-25×50 Ultra Short. But, unless you go with very high rings, and have a full length Picatinny rail, the 5-20US will not fit a long action. The 3-20US will most likely have the same issue, even though the mounting length has a bit more forgiveness. But glass, tracking, turrets, and other features are top notch.

I shot a march 3-24x52 F1 last 7 years on a 7-2oz-338NM,braked.The scope has good ergonomics,ZS,low turrets.Fussy paralax past 20,not real clear past that either my Mark 5 much better on both.But overall good packer,fell on it many times.Was straped to my roll cage in a highway roll,never lost zero on that.Shot my muley this year at474,w/40+ wind.Lance really makes me want a TT.

Attachments

• IMG_2953.JPG
    IMG_2953.JPG
    922.8 KB · Views: 58
I shot a march 3-24x52 F1 last 7 years on a 7-2oz-338NM,braked.The scope has good ergonomics,ZS,low turrets.Fussy paralax past 20,not real clear past that either my Mark 5 much better on both.But overall good packer,fell on it many times.Was straped to my roll cage in a highway roll,never lost zero on that.Shot my muley this year at474,w/40+ wind.Lance really makes me want a TT.
March 3-24 is certainly in the running right now.