Quality level at reasonable price?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, I have learned the leson of how important it is that your cross hairs be level when your shooting at distance. With this in mind could yal recommend a quality/affordable level for my rifle that would fit on my picatiny rail as now that I have my scope set I have no desire to change out rings for a ring mounted level. Thank's, Brad

Define reasonable price :rolleyes: Usually quality & cost rise in direct relation to one another.

I've used & still have a Holland & have now moved on to the FlatLine Ops setup. Both mount to the scope tube, with the Holland, I had to remove the scope. With the FlatLine I did not.

You can also add an ACI/ADI if you want in the future.

t

I've used several different ones, all with good success. I am currently using one called Scopelevel that has been on a 22-250 for 10 years anyway. Inexpensive and it works great. Probably wouldn't be too hard to break it though.
The other I am using is a Flat Line Ops unit that is mounted on a picatinny rail. The both work just as well.
I had a Holland for a while and really liked the looks of that one, but sold the rifle before getting a chance to use it.

I have a Badger Ordnance ACI with picatinny mounting bracket for sale. It was mounted, but never left the house. If you're shooting far enough to need a level, you will need to account for angle as well.

I also have the Holland and Flatline levels. Both work well, are rugged and accurate, with the Holland being a more simple design and lower price.

One thing I will add.

The FlatLine OPS level was WAY easier to set than my holland. With the set screws under the level for both the neutral & extended positions, it was a BREEZE to set. Literally half the time to setup than my holland.

Yup, it's a more expensive unit, but it's a better unit as well.

I don't know how far is far enough to matter however, so far I've been shooting up to 730yds and only stopped there because I ran out of area to shoot. My scope was canted in the mounts and it made for far right impacts. I corrected this and suddenly all my shots are center target because I stand my target with a plumb bob and center cross hairs with those on target. Tobad varmints don't come with target verticle and horizontal on them HAHA. Brad

You are certainly shooting far enough out that small things like cant and angle will result in shots missed by inches if these factors are not accounted for. I was shooting to the same ranges you are and became perplexed and frustrated enough by too many near misses on 'chucks to go ahead and install these devices on my rifle. It makes a difference... and good shooting there friend.

When. I first mounted a level I was amazed by the number of times that I would have sworn my rifle was level and in fact wasn't. No big deal at the midranges but once you get out past 500 yards and you are in hunting positions, it an absolute necessity for accurate hits. I'm sure a lot of shooters that don't use them blame their long range misses on wind or some other factor. I like to mount mine on the forward section of the scope tube just in front of the parallax knob.(in response to a previous question)

This answer may make you have to do a little research. I was struggling with the same thing...my problem was that I could get the scope level, or I could get the rifle level, but I couldn't get them level with each other. I found a complete lit that mounts to the rifle and the scope and makes the whole process simple and foolproof. The problem is that I order so much stuff that I can't remember where I got it. It was either at Midway, Cabelas, or Cheaper than Dirt. Good luck with that!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.