Quality colapseable Cleaning rod

djtjr

Guys does someone make a quality colapseable/takedown cleaning rod? I am headed to the Yukon in August and with the weather and other who knows what could get stuck in a barrel I wanted to see if someone made a quality setup to easily throw in a pack. While I like some of the pull through systems I am not sure if they are helpful in the event of something getting lodged in the barrel. I know it's not that likely but if it happens I want to be able to solve the problem. Any recomendations are appreciated.

From what I have seen and heard (and read), the jointed screw together cleaning rods are the worst thing to use to clean your rifle with. I would recommend using electrical tape over the muzzle and having a "pull through"
(Otis,etc), to clean if necessary. The tape will keep most everything out even if you drop it. What you do have to worry about is if the gun is submerged, somehow, and water gets into the barrel and cannot get out because of the tape, you could have a catastrophic failure if you fired the rifle. Of course, if you happened to have a jointed (3 piece) rod, and the hunt was on the line, I would use it if there was no other alternative to removing a bore obstruction.
Certainly not to be used for routine maintenance, but last ditch effort to save a hunt would cause me to use one in the field (or wherever).
You can purchase a 5 piece steel rod for the M-16, that is in a short package, but should be long enough to clear the obstruction, if necessary. I used to carry one in my backpack, and had it taped with electrical tape to prevent it from rattling in the pack. Never had to use it, thankfully.

The screw together ones are bad. I use a pull through and there should be a backup rifle in camp. Perhaps a wooden dowel cut into sections for knocking out a bullet lodged half way up the barrel because the powder charge got left out. Maybe a long wooden dowel or regular rod wrapped in a towel and tossed into your rifle hard case. A piece of tape over the barrel end would also keep out foreign matter.

Balloons are a bit cheaper. If you're worried about getting a **** bullet stuck in the bore then a screw together rod is the least of youre worries. but if your talking about mud, dirt, etc a pull through should be fine. Then again I dont have much problem using a sectional cleaning rod. I use a one-piece but if I were in a pinch, I have no problem with em.

If you are worried about getting something stuck in your barrel (like muzzle stuck in the mud) a pull through isn't going to help, unless you have rod of some type to punch it out first. Using a sectional rod once or twice probably isn't going to hurt your barrel, especially if you are careful and maybe use a bore guide. I usually carry an aluminum one but the wooden dowel cut into sections for ease of carry may be a good option. Never tried that.
A balloon or condom will help keep moisture out but they break really easily, and a hard fall or thrust can render them useless. Tape is a good option and tougher.
I don't know where the bullet stuck in the barrel came from but from personal experience none of anything mentioned will work. Your hunting trip is shot...and maybe your barrel!

I don't know where the bullet stuck in the barrel came from but from personal experience none of anything mentioned will work. Your hunting trip is shot...and maybe your barrel!

Bullets lodged in barrels can often be removed with a stout cleaning rod. My local gunsmith - who happens to be a relative - has described dislodging bullets in bores to me in the past with cleaning rods. Easier in pistols than in rifle barrels. Of course he'll have other options at his gun shop than we'll have out in the field if the bullet isn't quickly removed with a cleaning rod. I watched him remove one quickly just a month ago. There are differing reasons that bullets become lodged in a bore, and differing difficulties of removal.

Besides double checking powder charges on each load that's handloaded, ensure you don't coat the chamber or shells with WD-40 or other penetrating lubricants/oils. I'm personally aware of two separate incidents where WD-40 resulted in lodged bullets and/or misfires. I caused one incident in a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Colt. I was sharp enough to check the bore before firing a follow-up round. The other was a friend that inerted his 7mm Rem Mag shells by spraying them with WD-40. Consequence to him was he missed a nice bull moose. Consequence to me was I harvested that nice bull moose, adding insult to injury.

I gotcha, not all stuck bullet scenarios are created the same. From personal experience with a squib subsonic load; it was sticking out of the muzzle and believe me when I say there is not a cleaning rod made that would have got that thing out. You may be thinking best case when I'm thinking worst case, I tend to do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.