QUALITY CARTRIDGE BRASS

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Has anyone been using "Quality Cartridge Brass" or "Peterson Brass" for reloading? I am in the process of building a straight 284 Win for 1,000 yrd and looking for brass. Lapua is coming out with .284 Win Brass this year 2021, but you know how that goes with a manufacture bringing out a new product. I have been usuing LAPUA for most all my reloads. I heard "PETERSON" also makes some quality brass. Looking for the quality/precision of these two manufactures compaired to Lapua.

I've never used Lapua but I've used Peterson on a few different rifles and it's great stuff! Strong and consistent as it gets. I'm going to try Lapua here shortly so I'll have a direct comparison

Perhaps waiting for the Lapua brass may not materialize, the Peterson would suit the bill. Never used it but always read good reviews. I would especially like to see Lapua expand their cartridge selection. Not a great selection available presently.

Has anyone been using "Quality Cartridge Brass" or "Peterson Brass" for reloading? I am in the process of building a straight 284 Win for 1,000 yrd and looking for brass. Lapua is coming out with .284 Win Brass this year 2021, but you know how that goes with a manufacture bringing out a new product. I have been usuing LAPUA for most all my reloads. I heard "PETERSON" also makes some quality brass. Looking for the quality/precision of these two manufactures compaired to Lapua.
Between the two, go with Peterson. I got 100 QCB for my .30 Gibbs to try. The QC is not up to par for its cost. There are minor (bent/out of round mouth) but was corrected when resized. Wall thickness was up to .002" difference, but we shall see after two firings.

I also used .280 Rem Peterson to pre-form to .30 Gibbs, and they are very good and consistent.

Last edited:
I would use Quality Cartridge brass only for those situations where I couldn't find the proper headstamped cases from a major supplier; mostly due to cost.

Here is a note I made to myself some time back. I did pick up a hundred or so at a good price from a gent over in the UK.

Note to self.
"I had a recent order with Graf so out of morbid curiosity I decided to add a 20 count bag to my order. Looked good on arrival. No dents, scratches, squished mouths, etc. First order of business was to run my handy dandy Sinclair .263 carbide expander through the necks. Next I tried trimming but they didn't need it. Ran the flash hole deburrer thru them. The fit was tight but not much brass taken out. Do a light chamfer to clean up any mouth burrs and then turn the necks.

At this point the first 5 cases weighed 178.6 178.0 178.6 178.4 and 178.2 grains

By contrast 5 new Norma .25-06 cases fresh from the box weighed 184.8 184.0 184.4 185 and 185.2 grains"

If those were my choices, I'd go with Peterson. Its strong and heavy, so reduce typical loads and work back up. They also make two grades, "Match Grade" and "Select", which is weight and length sorted.

Between the two, go with Peterson. I got 100 QCB for my .30 Gibbs to try. The QC is not up to par for its cost. There are minor (bent/out of round mouth) but was corrected when resized. Wall thickness was up to .002" difference, but we shall see after two firings.

I also used .280 Peterson to pre-form to .30 Gibbs, and they are very good and consistent.
X-2 on the Peterson Brass, the stuff is unreal, But I'm just a Average Hunter so my opinion prolly don't count ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.