Q&A: 300 WM with 210 gr VLD Hunting Project

So we have talked about this before and I know there are several people that do seating depth first but just by velocity numbers I tend to not do that. I always pick like .015 off lands and I do charges first. And look for groups a little and really focus on my SDs. Once I get something that is grouping well with super low SD numbers in the velocity ball park I am looking for then I press on with tinkering with seating depth. From what I have noticed seating depth changes don't mess that much with SD numbers unless A. U are getting compressed or B. U are jamming. That huge area in between numbers don't seem to flex that much. Your charge seems really low for seeing pressure signs that early that is a very mild load. Your powder choice for sure is on point H1000 is for sure one of the gold standard powders in the win. Let me measure a few of my loads and see where are sitting as compared to me and 215 and 208 loads. Maybe your rifle is just short throated, something is def off right now. Not saying u are wrong or anyone else is but to me why try a seating depth test with a load that has ES of 50 I mean u may see a little opening and closing of groups I guess but to me u will see way more when u have a powder charge already that is producing low single digit SDs. Just my way is all.

At what distances you do your load development?

I don't have the optics, but my own range—on my place—goes out to 600. What I intend to do is set up rebar with orange flags at 100 yard intervals from the Target. Then place my bench—or tripod—or whatever rest I use—on top of the heavy duty cover of my pickup bed—and park at whatever interval I want to shoot at. Then, after each group—drive out and check the target—hauling the bench with me.

Did I mention that I am about the laziest old dog you'll ever know? Hopefully, at each "stop" I won't fall asleep—fall off the truck bed and end up with the rebar up my...but let's keep this a family site!

Best regards,

Russ

U know on state land I would setup steel and then shoot out of the back of my truck prone in hundred yard intervals. So easy just leave your stuff setup and drive away from target, range, hop in back of truck and "let er eat".

I should probably find some crown land and do the same thing. Gun ranges are nice for target practice but are brutal for load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.