Puzzled help

BamaBoy9

My son in law purchased a beraga hmr in 6.5 Creedmoor, topped it with vortex pst 5x25x50 . Long story short we are both breaking in our guns , trying to figure out what ammo produces best results , until hand loading starts . Anyway his rifle doesn't seem to be grouping as well as mine , skill wise I would say he is considerably a better shooter than I am . Any thing we need to check or look into? I'm shooting a Remington PCR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a trijicon 5x20x50

Lots of variables here, but could be something as simple as the rifle just doesn't like the ammo.
What ammo? Group sizes and at what range?
Have you tried shooting his rifle?
Is the rifle properly fitted to him?
Is there anything new as far as shooting technique (ex: usually shoots off bench/bags and now off bipod)?
Lots of questions could be asked here.

As far as ammo , we are trying these factory loads , Hornady match 147 eld, Hornady match 140 eld, Hornady 140 white tail spbt, Remington hpbt 140 gr , Hornady precision hunter 140 gr. We are at 200 yards trying to set zero . However he usually prefers prone ( army ranger) while we are on bench and bipods. Yes I shot the rifle I could not stack the group either.

Try ditching the bipods while on the bench. Use sandbags.

As far as what works, all of my students that have used Prime ammo have had pretty awesome results. That includes a number of them shooting Bergara's.

All B-14 rifles are capable of producing sub-1.0 MOA groups or less at 100 yards using factory match grade ammunition.
That is from their website, if it's not meeting their standards then call them. On the flip side, and I'm not trying to be rude, if you are expecting 1/4 moa (or even 1/2) from a production rifle with factory ammo then you are setting yourself up for failure. How is this rifle grouping?

Well actually we both shot sub 1 groups from 100 with both rifles , sub .5 with my Remington, about .75 with the beraga . At 200 his shots are not grouping at all seem to walk the more we shoot . High , low , left and right

I would check the scope and mounts as suggested. I would also check the action screws and torque them down in the 45-60 inch lbs range. Anything under MOA with factory ammo in a factory rifle is acceptable. I would also clean the barrel to get a fresh start and go from there.

If that doesn't change it, I would test a different scope before anything else.

When you change from one ammo maker to the next or bullet weights properly clean your barrels & use a bore guide , dont over heat your barrels have fun coach each other ,dry fire ,one shoots the other acts as spotter then switch off , that way one barrels always cooling make it fun n Congradulate each other . Some barrels take more shooting, triggers affect groups , worst is early judgments of any new rifle,Enjoy the ride you Both payed Addmission! Thks

Parallax free? Had it set for 200
Just because it is set for 200 hundred does not always mean the scope is parallax free. Next time double check by getting behind the scope and shift head position left and right, if the crosshairs move at all adjust the dial until the cross hairs are welded to your target.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts