Pushing a .338 as fast as possible

Thanks for the additional details Charles.

Yes I can imagine a 300gr bullet could be easily lethal even at 100 fps if it struck someone in a fatal point of impact.

I chose my words deliberately, I never challenge a persons integrity without hard evidence. If I knew someone to be a liar I would use the word liar. But I respect your standing up to a perceived challenge to Boyd's integrity. I certainly did not intend to come accross as doing so.

MM

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]

My 2 cents. I have a 338-378 I shoot it at 3000 fps. Barrel is 34 in. in length. Weatherby makes 338-378 cases. I feel that the best accuracy is at this velocity at least in my gun. I can go up to 3100 - 3150. but see a change in vertical. Using a 300 smk I don't believe you really need to go any faster. However I have not shot this at over 1300 yds., at this range I have hit groundhog twice.

MM,

What you are saying is pretty much "correct". The difference is point of view.

The fact that a shot was made at that range leading to the harvesting of an elk cannot be denied. Guessing that it is hard for an elk to pretend to get gutted and skinned.

The ballistic facts generated from a computer programs are also "accurate". However, bubble bees do fly and we all pay income tax.

What you are missing is that a 300gr bullet arriving even at 1000fps is lethal...period. The fact that it has this many foot lbs is irrelevant. The bullet will penetrate through the chest cavity disrupting the internal organs leaving a lot of skinning and packing. So will a broadhead arrow at 75yds (LR by bow standards).

Yes, the bullet is falling like a rock and can drift a lot in a cross wind (if there was one). That is why we use the rangefinding equipment that we do. I would also suppose that a windage shot or two was made to confirm the wind/elevation at the target before the elk was engaged. I will also suppose that the rifle, shooter and the "bench" were up to the task. I really doubt this was a Hail Mary type of shot.

With all this said, do I condone most hunters from doing this type of shooting. Absolutely not!!! I believe that those on the board that do LR hunting invest enormous amounts of time, money and energy to perfect their art. I know I do.

I also believe that they watch a lot of game walk then take a risky shot. Ethical hunting is ethical hunting. No matter how far away the target is, if it is above the ability of the hunter or the equipment/situation, don't pull the trigger.

Did you know that once a high BC bullet goes subsonic, it slows down very little? It is dropping very quickly but essentially has the same "energy" over an enormous range. Look how effective the blackpowder cartridges were at long ranges. Talk about heavy bullets/slow muzzle vel. So yes, a 300gr bullet out of a 338win mag will be lethal at 2100yds if you have the equipment and skill to get the bullet into the boiler room. Would this my best choice for a LR load...nope.

Enjoy,

Jerry

Hi Boyd. Nothing new here. Getting ready for the big game season. Little small game.

MontanaMarine, I ment nothing by it. On internet world you really dont know how someone is putting it. I did not mean to accuse you of calling someone a liar. Anyways you are a gentlemen,well as much as a Marine can be.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I AM THE INFANTRY,FOLLOW ME...HOOAH!!!

Thanks Charles,

I always think it is too bad when two or more poster on a shooting forum have an ugly little go at each other.

I'm fairly knowledgable on many aspects of shooting and reloading. But this site in particular, has really opened my eyes to a higher league of technical and procedural information associated with equipment, ammunition, optics, and application of long range riflery.

MM

A bit off the subject but was wondering what the advantage would be of necking down the 408 to 338. Why not just leave it a straight 408. Ballistically it appears the superior round over a 338. I suppose the choice of a factory 300 grain 338 bullet is nice but the 400+ grain 408 bullet that Warren sells has an even higher BC and can still be propelled at over 3,000 fps. That adds up to more long range energy. Just a thought that crossed my mind when reading through this post. Good hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.