Purchace of 280AI

Have opportunity to get one from a pawn shop. Rem 700 remmage looks like 26" stainless with bias brake, manners stock , with rings. For $1k out the door. Told myself I would wait till I got the funds for a 300winny but it is calling my name. I have long way to go before i get into the meat and potatoes of long range hunting. Would this be good option to get started. It is in really good condition. No dents, scratches etc action is clean considering pawn shop. I keep reading posts about this cartridge and I'm thinking I maybe passing up opportunity.
There's a number of reasons why guns wind up in the pawn shop... being a dependable rifle that shot lights out accurate isnt usually one of them. The fact that it's a Rem-age makes it a whole lot more likely that this is some Frankenstein that a shade tree gunsmith cobbled together and then gave up on and didn't feel like they could sell on a forum with any shred of a conscience.

just my $0.02

If the action and stock are suitable for you, $750 seems fair.

I can guarantee he didn't lose money on the trade back so he should be able to go lower.

You may have screwed yourself a bit with your $550 offer. If you go back at $650, he knows you want it pretty bad.

It might take a while to get it down to $600 and if you let on that you are willing to go higher, he might slow it down more.

And you know at a PS that they didn't pay half asking price...the PS I know always gutted people....

I'm with one of the earlier posts today ... buy the Kimber 280AI for sale here.

But if you really like the pawn shop rifle, offer a price you're comfortable with under the agreement that you have a week or so to have you gun smith look it over and return it if you don't like what you find. They will eventually get someone who needs something really bad for a hunt this fall but no reason you should be the one to take that risk.

Nothing against kimber just not really dont like the rifles. The 1911's on the other hand yes I do. If someone else snags this before I do it's not a big deal. I will hopefully get some more info today from GS if he remembers the rifle and if he checked it out beyond casting. Etc.. as for stock fitting me I have a 15" LOP guarilla arms so that's always been issue. Tomorrow will go into PS and check on few thing extra.

Update. Talked to GS during casting he said throat was in good shape does have manners stalk. He didnt pay attention to trigger which to me us fine either way. If its junk it goes garbage if good trigger see what happens.

It is one one bottom

Attachments

• 20200808_140707.jpg
    20200808_140707.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.