Pulled Cabelas bullets

Iron Worker

Acquired some Cabela's loaded ammo. (44 Mag) Loads were so light they were boring. Pulled them, they had a 10.5 gr charge of unknown powder behind a Hornady 240 gr XTP. MV of 1,050 FPS. Any how I want to replace the powder with stiff load of H110. But I don't know if Cabelas used magnum primers in original charge.Does H110 require a magnum primer ?

Ironically, I would recommend you start low and work up. But, that's the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

Does H110 require a magnum primer ?

Unfortuantely, even if it doesn't require a magnum primer; that doesn't mean they didn't use one.

Ironically, I would recommend you start low and work up. But, that's the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

+1

There's a way to do this, without having to pull many more bullets. Hopefully you live close to a range or spot you can shoot/chrono..?

I load one to three cases with a starting charge, and increase each shot with more powder until I find maximum (or the velocity I want). By time I find maximum; I've usually ruined or come close to ruining only one or maybe two cases, but I think that's better than pulling bullets and such, and gives me more cases to work with later.

If you live close to a range, perhaps this would work for you..??

Unfortuantely, even if it doesn't require a magnum primer; that doesn't mean they didn't use one.

+1

There's a way to do this, without having to pull many more bullets. Hopefully you live close to a range or spot you can shoot/chrono..?

I load one to three cases with a starting charge, and increase each shot with more powder until I find maximum (or the velocity I want). By time I find maximum; I've usually ruined or come close to ruining only one or maybe two cases, but I think that's better than pulling bullets and such, and gives me more cases to work with later.

If you live close to a range, perhaps this would work for you..??

How are you ruining your cases ? I've been working with H110 for years. I know what load I like. Its I've always used a magnum primer.The question is what did they use ?

How are you ruining your cases ?

Because some times by time I am seeing definate pressure signs the primer pockets are starting to get loose. A case will have sometimes been loaded 8 or 9 times before I find true "maximum". But I am talking about cases and powders I haven't tried before. Also, wildcat cartridges that don't have published load data out on them.

If you've been using H110 and magnum primers for years, then perhaps this isn't an issue for you. You probably already know about where maximum is with a particular bullet weight.

I know what load I like.

Then you also probably know what velocity that load shoots at?? If so, you can load up till you get that velocity. Personally, I really wouldn't feel the need to know what primer they used, I would just want to know that the new load with X primer was safe in my gun and that it was doing what I wanted it to do. Regardless of the primer.

Acquired some Cabela's loaded ammo. (44 Mag) Loads were so light they were boring. Pulled them, they had a 10.5 gr charge of unknown powder behind a Hornady 240 gr XTP. MV of 1,050 FPS. Any how I want to replace the powder with stiff load of H110. But I don't know if Cabelas used magnum primers in original charge.Does H110 require a magnum primer ?

You didn't say what you planned to shoot these rounds thru, but if it is a S&W 629, I'd avoid H110. Too hard on the gun. Try AA #9 at 20.0 grains with a max at 21.5 grains. I shoot a 250 grain bullet with 20.0 grains for 1380 fps out of a 629 Classic with an 8" barrel. Recoil is mild, and I can go another full grain of powder.
gary

I'm shooting an 8" Colt Anaconda. I have had good performance out of both H110 and LiL'gun . I loaded what I pulled with 23grs of Lil'gun and 240gr Hornady XTP. Hodgens site says Max load was 24.5.

I'm shooting an 8" Colt Anaconda. I have had good performance out of both H110 and LiL'gun . I loaded what I pulled with 23grs of Lil'gun and 240gr Hornady XTP. Hodgens site says Max load was 24.5.

the only thing I use H110 in anymore is my T/C's. I use 1680 in my .445 for about 1750fps with a 250 grain bullet in a 14" barrel. Real hand full! You should try AA#9 in the 44 mag. I really like it. Shoots pretty good in my 45LC's as well, and burns very clean.
gary

I also shoot a 45 LC a S&W 25 What load do you recommend for that using AA#9 ? Say a 250gr bullet

I shoot several 45LC Blackhawks. Most are the 4.62" barrel, but a couple are 6.5" ones(think). Most of the time I shoot 16.5 grains of #9 under a 255 grain cast Kieth style bullet (Lyman mold). But do shoot some 17.0 and 17.3 stuff on occassion with the same bullet. 98% of the stuff I shoot in the 45LC is cast lead. Also shoot some #7 with the same bullet for a nice plinking round that has a mild recoil (14.5 grains @ 1080fps). I don't own the mold, so can't give you the P/N. A guy I know casts them for me every couple years, and sizes them as well. One of these days I'll do my own!
gary

I'd watch the hot loads in a Smith 25, and avoid data that's intended for the Rugers. A quick look at the placement of the cylinder stop notches will explain everything there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.