public land softwear for GPS

Eric, I need to get your posts into perspective. I haven't seen any info that says who you are or what your relationship is to the GPS products offered by LRH. It may have been posted on another thread; if so, I have missed it. I am kind of getting that you represent the company that provides Len's GPS products. In any even, your posts have been very helpful. I plan to purchase a GPS unit and am now just putting together enough info so I can ask some intelligent questions. Could you clarify things, please?

Thanks,

Barry

Goofycat---In case Eric is busy and doesn't get back here to answer your question, yes, he is one of the topdogs at the company in Montana that makes the chips or software for your computer if you go the latter route. Len is one of a few retailers that you can also buy the products from if you don't buy direct. The chips are only compatible in newer Garmin GPS equipment in case you missed that. Hope that helps and I can attest that this is a fantastic product and good people to deal with!

Thanks, Top. That explains things. I didn't think he was just another member-poster, but knowing who he is makes his posts about GPS information more credible. Thanks again.

Thanks for the help/reply, Gentlemen! I spoke w/ Dave at MM&GPS today. Very helpful. Unfortunately, mine is older and I gotta mail it in. Onward thru the fog! Take care. Happy/safe hunting this year.
Can't wait to try it out!

True story and the reason I bought this great product:
2007 Colorado 3rd rifle combo season. Hunting (attempting to hunt, I should say) near Maybell, CO on some BLM w/ county road access. Two large (1000ac ea) parcels w/ private land sandwiched between. County road access stops at a locked gate w/ an unamed outfitter. As we were climbing uphill on the other side of the fence on what we could discern by our blm maps and odometer reading as indeed BLM land, a pickup comes out of the private land and stops us. It's the ranch foreman and he allows as his boss tries to discourage folks from walking the fence line and hunting back in there. "All shot out anyway. No animals back there." (This land is a MAJOR elk migration corridor and we have cow tags.) We said thanks, but we'll give it a shot all the same. He says to be sure and stay on "that" side of the fence line all the way back. We agreed. He left.

3 minutes later big SUV from the ranch pulls up and stops us again. It's the boss this time. He shouts and hollers that we are trespassing and to get off his land and over the fence where he is. HE is on public ground and we're not, says he. I ask how come the gate was chained if it was public land. He said we came in from the wrong direction. (Never mind that I had just left the town of Maybell on a county road, straight shot, no turns to this gate. Seemed strange to me.... I told him his forman, (I called the foreman by name and spoke HIS name as well, seemed to shake him up a bit that I knew some names) had told us to stay on THIS side of the fence. Boss allowed as how foreman was wrong and he would have a "chat" w/ him about it. Conversation became heated as I suspected he wanted to get us on his side of the fence and call the law. I told him to call F&G and we'll see. By this time my son and other hunting buddy had enough of this hunting time wasting bs and said let's just go. Not worth it. It's our annual vacation and time is short.
We left but I still fume to this day that I got run off what I'm sure was publice ground.

This episode plus one other involving private signs on public land and getting a 30-30 pointed at me has me really glad I have this technology to help out.
Thanks again guys, sorry for the long post.

That happens all the time out west! Many of these ranchers think they own everything out there and they will pull that if they think they can get away with it and bluff people off the BLM. Before I bought this chip I was making my own maps from a CD ROM of Wyoming that I bought right from the G&F website. There is a rancher where we hunt that is known as an ahole all over the county and the first morning of our elk bow hunt in 2009 we got back to our truck and had him and a Deputy Sheriff waiting for us. The lady told us we were going to be issued tickets for trespassing and she wouldn't even say where we were supposed to have been trespassing. Being retired from a job as an Investigator with the State of MI, I flat told her she might want to hold off if she didn't want to get into hot water because we had not been on private deeded property and I pointed out exactly where we had been that morning. The guy then tells her that we had walked back down a little cow path that was definitely on his property to get to our truck. With that she took me aside and told me she would talk to the Sheriff and hold up on writing the tickets. A couple days later I went over to her office at the county seat and filled out a report stating exactly what had happened and verbally told her if the guy harrassed us any more that I would be filing charges for hunter harrassment with the Game Warden who I knew pretty well. Then I went next door to the Prosecutors Office, told the top guy waht was going on and showed him my GPS and maps that we were using to make sure that we were not trespassing. He was impressed and asked if there were any signs or fences where we were supposed to have trespassed. I said no and he asked how the guy knew we were on deeded land and I told him the rancher had told the lady we had to be on his deeded land because we were near one of the water tanks the BLM had installed for his cattle. The guy told me to go have a good hunt and not worry about getting a ticket and that if I did to come see him, enter a not guilty plea, and it would be tossed in file 13 as he would never prosecute anyone that was trying to be legal like we were. Now with this chip in my GPS and with the tracking feature turned on, it will show exactly where we were and should be even more evidence in our favor if something else comes up.

I would have stayed on the hunt, but would have invited the "boss" to call any authority he wished, while I hinted at calling my attorney after the hunt was over. When I know I'm right I refuse to take cr*p from anyone. I used to do it as a child, but refuse to stay in that "fear" mode as an adult. The owners were just trying to pull the old bully-in-the-schoolyard act. It's sad that there are still people around who refuse to grow up.

Having a 30-30 pointed at you might have brought the charge of "assault with a deadly weapon," possibly resulting in either a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the state and whether or not the prosecutor wanted to handle the case. Without a witness or photos, it would probably end up as a "he-said-she-said" situation, and no charges would have been filed by the prosecutor....depending on whether or not the wacko pointing the gun had history of violence and/or run-ins with Law Enforcement.

Just go over to the bottom right of the message box and hit the edit button to bring your post back up and do what you want with it. There is also a quote button if you want to put up something another person has posted by hitting it.

Top, I tried doing that, but once the post comes back up for editing, I don't see any "delete" button anywhere. I tried to merely delete the body of the post with the delete button on my keyboard, but it doesn't work that way, either.

Okay, now I know what you want to do. You're correct in that there is no delete button, so you have to go into the post itself and either highlight it and then hit your delete button and if that doesn't work on your computer, just go to the end of the post and backspace it all out and then hit the save button to put it up with nothing in it. It may then tell you that you need to have somehting in the message section. If that happens, then just type something like the post was deleted, etc.

Thanks, Top. I'll give it a try. If you see a couple of blank posts under my name, you'll know I was successful.

Barry

I tried it, but had to enter a short note. The program evidently just doesn't have any delete options. Duh..I guess I'll use the "preview" option for a change.

I thought that might be the case, as I'm on a couple other websites where you have to do that and the only way to actually get a post completely deleted so it doesn't even show up is to ask a Moderator or the Webmaster to do it for you.

Thanks Top Gun! You nailed it. I am the founder of Montana Mapping & GPS. I just have to be somewhat discrete so you buy from Len's Gear Shop and not our website. If you heard about it here, then buy from the LRH gear shop.

Good luck this season!
-Eric

Goofycat---In case Eric is busy and doesn't get back here to answer your question, yes, he is one of the topdogs at the company in Montana that makes the chips or software for your computer if you go the latter route. Len is one of a few retailers that you can also buy the products from if you don't buy direct. The chips are only compatible in newer Garmin GPS equipment in case you missed that. Hope that helps and I can attest that this is a fantastic product and good people to deal with!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.