public land softwear for GPS

You should have got the WY_PLAT4GPS map! It has the private land owner names and property boundaries so you don't even need the county directory book. We put all that data on the map. It's still good to have the directory book for a backup though.

Who the heck is going to use it out there, you or me, LOL? Looks like you should be happy I'm giving your company a plug! I already know all the boundaries and who owns what out there as good or better than the land owners themselves. With that book and maps I've made from other computer programs I own, along with that chip that has less clutter on it than the Plats one, I will be fine thank you!!! My main intent is to now turn on tracks on the GPS whenever I'm near a boundary and if there is any BS from the landowner all I will need to do is show them and/or the F&G Warden the tracks as evidence of where I was the entire time right on the GPS screen!

Last edited:
I already know all the boundaries and who owns what out there as good or better than the land owners themselves.

I would have to call BS on that one......Maybe for a small area?
I've been dodgeing privet land for years, I'll wager your gonna find a lot of fence lines that dont mean chit:D

Call BS all you want as you would lose your money! I spent many hours and made maps from a CD ROM I bought from the F&G years ago and each one has all the boundary waypoints marked on them. They cover almost all of Region M for deer where I hunt and you're correct in that many spots don't have fences marking the boundaries. In 2009 a rancher called the County Sheriff and F&G Warden and they were there as we got back to the truck after a morning hunt. He tried to say we were trespassing and pointed where we had been. I got my map of that section and GPS out and showed them that was all BLM property we were on next to his deeded land and that we were legal. The Warden I knew went on his way and the guy pressed the Deputy to cite us and was told it would be taken up with the County Prosecutor. I went over to the County seat in Worland a couple days later and talked to the Prosecutor, showed him what I had and he told me there would be no case with what I had just shown him. If I would have had that landowner chip in my GPS and tracks turned on I could have shown the Deputy right on the scene and it would have ended right there. It turned out the rancher had never had that piece of the ranch surveyed and didn't have any idea where the property line was and there were no fences in the area. The same thing happened with the rancher next to that place a few years before that when he told us we were trespassing on what was a square mile of State Trust land. When we told him we knew right where the property lines were he tried to say we were in "his buffer zone", LOL! Back in about 2003 I had the same thing happen 25 miles south of there with an outfitter trying to run us off legally accessible BLM land that was part of a ranch he had leased for hunting. I told him what he could do with his lease and then turned him in to the F&G Warden for hunter harrassment! It was the second complaint the Warden had that year and he went and warned the Outfitter that any further complaints like that would lead to him being up for revocation of his license! He still leases the ranch and I still hunt down there whenever I feel like it and have never had another problem after calling his bluff! If you know where you are and don't let ranchers and outfitters BS you off the land, there would be a lot more hunting open to everyone and those are just three examples that I alone have experienced!

I'm not talking about the fences that are not there I'm talking about the fences that run down the middle of a state section or anyplace they chose to put them!
Had the Sheriff and F&G Warden called a time or two myself but like you said the chip and your tracks on the gps will clear the matter up real fast!
Put the chip in the GPS and not on your shoulder my friend,No doubt you've done your homework but to say you know more about the area than the locals is being a little egotisticle dont you think? Sure some of the old timers still consider their leases as part of their holdings while most are just tired of being invaded every fall, the roads being drove on when wet and hunters driveing whereever they want instead of established roads........I know, I know you aint one of those guys.
I hunted Y West of Winchester many years ago as a non resident and had an outfitter try to run us off BLM land=He failed because just like you I'd done my homework.
The GPS chips are opening up a LOT of land that only those who did their homework could get to......To me that aint all good. What we worked hard to find anybody with a chip can get to with ease and they are :-(

I don't have a chip on my shoulder, but I also don't like people who think they own all the land out there that is actually owned by all of us taxpayers! Anybody that hasn't hunted out there and thinks they can go by fencelines is in for a rude awakening. The outfitter I mentioned is now the biggest in Wyoming and is right in Casper. You may even know Sy. I think you will find that there are as many residents violating game laws and common sense stuff like you mentioned in your post, so it's not all nonresidents and we are essentially the backbone of keeping the F&G running with our high license fees. Incidentally, at 64 years old I still park and camp on a main road and walk everywhere I hunt, as well as backpacking all game from goats, to deer and elk out on my back. Wyoming is a great state and I envy you for living out there.

I got Colorado and Wyoming maps from here 2 weeks ago and can't be happier. In zooming around the north west part of Colorado I noticed that some of the State Trust Lands have rows of black dots in them. I normally check the DOW leased back STL site each year for an area I might hunt. A check of my searching already done and a quick call to GPSMaps verified that it has been done for me. Some of the STLs change their status each year so this is one more great tool to use. I didn't notice in this thread if this had already been addressed or not but either way a good reminder.

Not to get started but for people not familiar with Colorado, DOW has to use our tax dollars each year to lease back trespass rights for hunting on land that already belongs to us. Go figure.

I have one of the chips (public/private land) chips Len sells. My only complaint is I didn't get one a long time ago.

I've found the accurate and match the BLM/NFS maps quite well.

A feture I like is mine gives the land owners name, that comes in handy in walk in areas where I need to seak premission to use my horses.

Len, I purchased a CO chip a couple years ago. (forget the actual date, but I know it's been at least 2-3). Gettin ready to pull the plug on 15 preference pts. for a nice muley in Colo. this year. Do I need to get an updated chip? Seems I read something about sending in my old one for a new one? Can ya help? Thanks for a great site and a great product!

Click on this link and follow the directions to send your chip in for an update. I'm sending my Wyoming chip in this week for a free first year upgrade. If you have the BLM version, it will cost $20 and if you have the Plat version with the actual names of land owners, it will cost $40. IMHO that's well worth it to stay out of trouble!

GPS Map Updates

We actually are just releasing our online chip updater system. You won't have to mail your chip in anymore! Simply download the update through your GPS or SD card reader on your computer!

Wait 2 days to a week and you should get an email notifying you of the update if you ordered online or have registered your chip online (if you purchased from one of our retailers). If you purchased since the beginning of this year you will get Free access to the online updater software. If you purchased before last years hunting season you will have to pay $20 - $40 depending on the map you have.

Thank you for your continued support!
-Eric

It's a simple wizard that you download, double click to run, and it walks you through the steps of the updater. We have made it as simple as possible, but feel free to mail your chip in if you can't handle it. There are still some old 2010 and earlier chips out there that need to be mailed in anyways, so we still handle the mail-in chips.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.