PTG Uni Throater For Short Throat Grendel Barrel

Ckgworks

Has anyone used PTG's Uni Throater? I know, I know the only way to do it right is on a lathe, but sometimes little hand tools can do the job. I have two 6.5 Grendel Barrels (and 3 others on relatives rifles) that are suffering from Short throat syndrome. I'm well under mag length and jamming the lands. It's bad enough that I can load 140 gr bullets to Mag Length, and 100 grain bullets are sunk to 2.15" COL. I also have sent a couple emails to the manufacture but I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for them to respond. Please lets not turn this into a Grendel Chamber debate! I'm just trying to figure out some options to fix these barrels up.....Any other options you would recommend?

Has anyone used PTG's Uni Throater? I know, I know the only way to do it right is on a lathe, but sometimes little hand tools can do the job. I have two 6.5 Grendel Barrels (and 3 others on relatives rifles) that are suffering from Short throat syndrome. I'm well under mag length and jamming the lands. It's bad enough that I can load 140 gr bullets to Mag Length, and 100 grain bullets are sunk to 2.15" COL. I also have sent a couple emails to the manufacture but I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for them to respond. Please lets not turn this into a Grendel Chamber debate! I'm just trying to figure out some options to fix these barrels up.....Any other options you would recommend?
If your intent is to lengthen the throats by hand, I would order the spiral flute version of the uni-throater. They work fine once you get the hang of it. Try to cut half as much as you think you need and check, it is very easy to go too far.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had wondered whether spiral flute or straight was the way to go. Yes, my plan and hope was to do it by hand, take it slow and measure often! I liked that this tool has a stop adjustment for depth.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had wondered whether spiral flute or straight was the way to go. Yes, my plan and hope was to do it by hand, take it slow and measure often! I liked that this tool has a stop adjustment for depth.
The spiral flute tends to be easier to use by hand because it doesn't grab the lands and it is less likely to leave a burr. Once you find the right setting you should be able to get a good result in other barrels although you may find that the exact seating depth to touch the lands will still vary a little especially if the barrels are from different makers.

i have been debating lengthening the throat to my 65284 also...
So I will be curious how it works for you....

Last edited:
So I will be curious how it works for you....

Well, no one has fessed up any horror stories of why I shouldn't try it ;) so I'll probably go for it and give it a try. I'll let you know how it works when I get it done....I am going to do a little more investigating before I order it. I ordered a cheap endoscope so I can hopefully get before and after pictures...... hopefully it won't turn into a "why you should NOT throat your barrel by hand" thread.:D

Well, no one has fessed up any horror stories of why I shouldn't try it ;) so I'll probably go for it and give it a try. I'll let you know how it works when I get it done....I am going to do a little more investigating before I order it. I ordered a cheap endoscope so I can hopefully get before and after pictures...... hopefully it won't turn into a "why you should NOT throat your barrel by hand" thread.:D
Follow the directions that come with the throater kit, use plenty of oil, clean all the chips from the reamer and barrel after each cut. Good luck. I almost always use mine with the barrel set up in the lathe, but the first time I used one it was with the action and the barrel by hand and it was successful.

Last edited:
A good way to make sure you keep everything centered is to take a shell for the rifle and drill a hole through the base just big enough to hold the shaft of the reamer. the install it over the shaft then add the cutter head. You now have a guide that matches you chamber that will hold the reamer centered in the chamber.

No yet...things got busy and it got dropped, your timing is perfect though because I ordered it this weekend. Hopefully I'll have in a week or so and will be able to update.

Get the spiral, the main problem you could run into if you don't get the spiral, is chatter. If using the straight reamer it is very easy to catch the lands, the reamer gets pushed up and then drop on the grooves causing big chatter marks. Go slow, check many times and wipe excess oil when measuring. Check for chips, they will give you a false reading.

Throater came in the mail today....I did order the spiral flute. Hopefully I'll get some free time this weekend to see what it looks like!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts