PSE TAC 15i crank storage position

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
"The PSE TAC 15i crank storage position" is a question I answered last week for someone. Apparently an early prototype somehow stored the PSE TAC 15i crank on the side. This feature never made it into the final unit.

I even purchased a second crank to keep in my pack. I would hate to loose the one I keep in my pocket and not be able to shoot on a hunt.

Bill

Good point. I have some on order to offer in the LRH Gear Shop for that purpose.

"The PSE TAC 15i crank storage position" is a question I answered last week for someone. Apparently an early prototype somehow stored the PSE TAC 15i crank on the side. This feature never made it into the final unit.
The answer I got from PSE was that the original TAC 15s used a very strong magnet on the x-bows frame to hold it in place. PSE engineers decided it was too easy to knock the crank loose, and decided it was best to forgo storing it on the frame.

It would have been nice if PSE engineers had given some more thought to securing the crank in place, rather than choosing not too.

Still the biggest issue is the noise level of the Tac-15 when it is fired.

OkieBowie
Still the biggest issue is the noise level of the Tac-15 when it is fired.

I am asked the "noise" question often and have in the past had to answer that I don't really know how they compare in noise. But, now when asked, I quote one of my recent customers. I sold a bow to this guy about a month ago. He had spent some weeks and many miles traveling around to various dealers shopping for his first crossbow. He was able to shoot 6 crossbows. I don't remember which they were but they included some of the top lines. His conclusion was that the TAC was by far the quietest one of all he shot.

However, I will be taking Jon.Henry's suggestion on further silencing: Jon.Henry posted this in another thread as a way to silence the TAC.

Specifically, on the TAC 15i I mentioned there is a steel pin above the trigger assembly in the frame of the crossbow. This pin acts as a hammer stop or hammer block each time you pull the trigger. I stated it was a uni-directional pin when it comes to removing or re-installing it.

This pin makes a considerable amount of noise each time you pull the trigger and the hammer strikes. It sends the noise and vibration through the frame of the lower unit.

There are two things I would suggest doing to help silence this noise and vibration to a minimum, they are listed below:

1. Remove the hammer stop pin as specified in the Timney Trigger installation instructions associated with this thread.

Then take a small piece of rubber tubing (such as that used in archery to connect your peep site to your bow limb. I believe it's called a "shurz-a-peep".) One inch of tubing is plenty. Slide this over the pin while reinserting the pin back onto the crossbow frame and re-seat the pin with the rubber now across the inside spread of the pin. This is easiest if you add a drop of silicon to the pin before placing the tubing over it and insures that the pin can easily be removed in the future, if you decide to disassemble the crossbow again.

2. Observe the place where the hammer makes contact with this pin. This can be done by pulling the trigger multiple times and reloading the hammer each time. Once you have this contact point marked, you can cut a half inch wide by one and a half inch long strip of self stick mole skin or felt or thin rubber to cover this contact point. I used a soft piece of moleskin, but I'm sure any of the other materials would produce similar results.

If placed in the correct spots, you'll be amazed at how much noise and sound this removes from the crossbow.

Once complete, reassemble your crossbow as before.

To this, I've added the more common Limbsavers specifically for crossbows. The only difference in my application was that I purchased some "Scotch" brand, double sided Foam Mounting Squares and cut them to the exact size and shape as the Limb Savers. I applied these to both the inner and outer Limb Saver pieces and then tightened each one using the supplied Hex Screw. This was to prevent the possibility of movement or slippage during shooting.

Follow this with a pair of typical string leeches and that should reduce your noise and vibration by about 80 per cent or more.

I don't suggest that this is the only way to silence down these components, but I do know it's a good start and I would like to hear other ideas and suggestions from other members who have had the time to do some of this work.

I actually have one of the first runs where the crank fit in a hole in the side of the upper that has a magnet in it. It will stay there for the ride in the case, but I would never carry it like this in the field. I find it best to put it in my pocket and just go from there.

As far as silencing the TAC-15, I will have to try these things mentioned above. I am always looking to make my bows as quiet as possible. A little time spent doing this is worth its weight in gold....

I also have one of the first run Tac 15's with the handle storage in the side of the upper. I sewed a pocket (with a couple of small magnets to close the flap) on my Hunter Safety Vest and never use the side storage on the upper.

I'm working on noise supression too, but my Tac 15 is much quieter than my older Parker Terminator.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.