PSE TAC 15/15i, 10/10i Crossbow Review

I have edited the article to add some info on my broadhead selection. I wan't sure how well I could get any of them to shoot.

Read what I learned about the Phat Head broadhead.

I finally have my TAC15 in hand; still waiting on the AR lower though...

Until that arrives, I've been looking at accessories. The three arrows that come with the TAC aren't enough, so purchasing at least 6 more is a given.

Thanks Len for the recommendation of the Phat Head broadheads, that will save me some experimentation time.

What sort of quiver are you guys using? I prefer to have one that attaches to the TAC -- given it's length, I'm guessing that the best arrangement would be a quiver that held the arrows parallel to the stock?

velocity at 100+ yard ranges

Len (or others), did you ever get your chrono to work at 100 yards on the TAC 15? I've seen some postings on other forums saying that the arrow is traveling very slowly at those ranges such that it doesn't have enough kinetic energy to make a clean kill. No one listed any actual numbers though.

I've talked to a number of archers (using compound bows) that shoot at 80-100 yards at deer, antelope and elk (or at least they claim to do so!), and since none of their bows have an initial velocity that can match the TAC 15, it's likely that they have less kinetic energy at the 100 yard range than the TAC arrow does. But just b/c someone else does it, doesn't mean it's ethical I suppose!

Let's put this one to bed: anyone have measured velocity numbers (and/or kinetic energy) for the TAC 15 at anywhere around 100 yards?

saying that the arrow is traveling very slowly at those ranges such that it doesn't have enough kinetic energy to make a clean kill.

It is traveling very fast. I have not tried again to chrono at 100 yds. No need to. Even at 100 yards it zips right through ordinary targets that would be adequate for stopping compound bow arrows at 20 yards. No more proof is needed.

This thing is a long range killing machine. Watch for plenty of long range kill reports this fall from guys on LRH.

I got out to 120 yards today for the first time. At 120 yds, my Phat Head broadheads penetrated 12 inches of Block's new premium Polyfusion 400 FPS broadhead target. There is no need to convince those who made the comments you quoted.

By the way I shot a 3 inch, 2 shot group. It was hard at 3 power to see the black reticle dot against the mostly black target face. I think I will do better when I change the face color on this new target.

Ah, the arrogance! I am unsatisfied with a 3 inch group at 120 yards.

My educated guess is that the velocity at 100 yards is well over 300 fps. How much over 300 fps is a moot point.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Even 250 or 200 fps is still plenty to take down an elk (a lot of people hunt with recurves/long bows/old compounds that have a 'muzzle' velocity of less than 200 fps. I have a friend who has a short draw length (24 inches) and shoots 55lbs draw weight with a new 2010 Diamond compound and with hunting accessories (string silencers, etc.) she's only getting 210 on the chrono (just tested it myself today).

My local store didn't have the 400fps Morrell target, but they did have the Morrel Yellow Jacket crossbow target -- will that stop the TAC 15 arrows at 20 yards or do I need to ship in the 400fps to save my arrows?

Morrel Yellow Jacket crossbow target -- will that stop the TAC 15 arrows at 20 yards or do I need to ship in the 400fps to save my arrows?

I have one Morrel Yellow Jacket crossbow target with only 2 holes in it. I'll sell it to you really cheap! :cool:

Let me guess, one hole in the front and another exactly in line with that one out the back... thanks for the info, at $15 per arrow I think I'll pay to have the 400fps target shipped in!

I've settled on a quiver and am working out a home-made mount as I can't find anything with a picatinny rail mount that fits.

I'm looking forward to attempting to match Len's numbers/performance! Anyone else?

Hi,

Any one have any advice on optics for the pse tac 15? I live in Idaho and am allowed to use a lighted reticle but only a NON MAGNIFYING sight. I'm at a loss at what would be best. Thx!

I don't have any specific recommendations for you since I use the Accushot that Len and PSE recommend. However, I would advise that you look for something that has a number of mil-dots or cross-hairs, as you need a large number of aiming points once you get out there a wayz. You might even consider a standard archery pin sight, just be sure it either has a number of pins or that you can add them. You don't want to have to estimate hold-over distances on top of range, wind, etc. when that trophy elk appears.

I don't have any specific recommendations for you since I use the Accushot that Len and PSE recommend. However, I would advise that you look for something that has a number of mil-dots or cross-hairs, as you need a large number of aiming points once you get out there a wayz. You might even consider a standard archery pin sight, just be sure it either has a number of pins or that you can add them. You don't want to have to estimate hold-over distances on top of range, wind, etc. when that trophy elk appears.

Thx Chim. Good advice. Most of the red dots seem only to have one to three dots. I really wanted the new Hawke but it is indeed a magnifying scope so I'm at a loss on specifics now. I may run down to Cabelas and see what they say. If anyone else has any specific recommendations please let me know as I'm a complete novice here. I've killed a lot of elk with my rifle but have never even attempted using a bow. Thank you again.

purchased the TAC 15 in July - using scope recomended by Len - have not shot bow - I have 15 arrows and will be going to hunting camp for couple of days in early Sept to start shooting - what is best broadhead for this - mechanical or fixed - wouldn't mechanical perform better in windy conditions?

I'm not sure how mechanicals would deal with the extreme forces involved (example: the plastic woven material that covers the 400fps Bone Collector target gets partially melted onto the arrows, I'm guessing it's from the heat of friction from stopping those high-speed arrows!). I'm going with Len's recommendation on the Phat Heads.

I finally got my TAC 15 out to the range... one word: WOW. I never thought I'd be comfortable shooting a 'bow' at 100 yards, but this thing made me a believer. From 20 yards to 100 yards, I never lost an arrow and consistently had 3 arrow groups that were just amazing. At 100 yards I put them in a pie plate every time. At 50 yards and under, I took Len's advice and didn't shoot at the same spot on the target so I wouldn't "Robin Hood" my arrows. It was good advice! The Bone Collector 400fps target stops the arrows cold and has extremely easy two finger removal. Plus, I like the 'nine-ball rack' target side since I could hit the number on each ball at <=50 yards and not risk hitting my own arrows.

If you're considering getting a TAC 15, I'd recommend you talk to Len and pick one up. Sure, they're a bit pricey but what a weapon!

Has anyone turned up the magnification on the Accushot at the longer ranges? I was wondering what effect that would have on point of aim. For example, if you use the fourth mil-dot down (from the crosshairs) at 100 yards with the scope at 3x, what would happen if you turned the scope up to 9x? I'm guessing you can't use the 4th mil-dot down anymore??? I didn't have a steady enough shooting bench/rest to adjust the scope and see what happened to the point of aim and I didn't have time to test it out. Next trip to the range, I'm going to remove the bow from the stock and then reinstall it and see if that affects the point of impact. Anyone else tried that yet?

I am looking at getting one of these, but would like to know if anyone has had any problems with them?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.