PSA 300 BLK upper, any good?

6pakzak

Thinking of getting a PSA 300 BLK for deer hunting, shooting past 300yds would be not so likely in my area, I was thinking of just getting the upper and around 10 inch barrel, would make it nice and light and easy to carry since I have a lot of brush here, also would only be around 300.00 cause I can put the upper on lowers I already have, does have to be a match gun but don't want junk either, what do you think?

I have the PSA 7.5" 300blk. Its been good to go. Price has went up since I bought mine about 4 years ago.
One thing to add if you plan on getting a 10" upper that would make it pistol/SBR only. I don't know how New York does it but in AL if the lower is already registered as a rifle you can't legally put a pistol upper on it. A AR15 pistol can be converted to rifle(SBR) but not the other way around.

Mine works. Wears a Wraith HD currently, runs with an Omega 300. Nothing wrong so far, but I haven't pushed it hard.

Do I prefer my BCM uppers? Yes.
Does PSA cost half or less as much as BCM? Yes.
Are their any differences between PSA and BCM 8" 7 twist 300 BLK uppers? Yes but not nearly as many as the price would suggest.

Biggest difference - finish is better on the BCM.
Similarities - both are full auto weight carriers (PSA could have gone cheap here and didn't, and it came with a BCG included)
Nit pick - the gas key was staked on both, but not correctly on the PSA.

TBH I've never scoped it that I can recall so I have no idea about what gas port is in it other than big/small enough to run on the same lower as my BCM. But I only put A1680 loads through it, none of the ones that failed in the other upper.

Mine works. Wears a Wraith HD currently, runs with an Omega 300. Nothing wrong so far, but I haven't pushed it hard.

Do I prefer my BCM uppers? Yes.
Does PSA cost half or less as much as BCM? Yes.
Are their any differences between PSA and BCM 8" 7 twist 300 BLK uppers? Yes but not nearly as many as the price would suggest.

Biggest difference - finish is better on the BCM.
Similarities - both are full auto weight carriers (PSA could have gone cheap here and didn't, and it came with a BCG included)
Nit pick - the gas key was staked on both, but not correctly on the PSA.

TBH I've never scoped it that I can recall so I have no idea about what gas port is in it other than big/small enough to run on the same lower as my BCM. But I only put A1680 loads through it, none of the ones that failed in the other upper.
Looking at one with heavy stainless fluted barrel, what barrel length would you think would be good to about 250 yds for whitetails

Super or subs? Supers go as long as you want up to about 18" max for velocity gains, subs anything over 9" isn't getting you anything.

16"+ has the virtue of not needing a stamp or a pistol lower. Accuracy-wise twist is more important than barrel length. I don't see a reason for anything faster than a 7 twist, I can stabilize 220gn Sierras and 200gn Maker monos just fine with it.

Supersonic hunting I'd go 16", good balance of speed and don't need any extra paperwork.

All the new 5 twist and 3 twist specialty barrels seem to be for super short self-defense monos, there's no need for that kind of spin in with a typical hunting bullet.

Super or subs? Supers go as long as you want up to about 18" max for velocity gains, subs anything over 9" isn't getting you anything.

16"+ has the virtue of not needing a stamp or a pistol lower. Accuracy-wise twist is more important than barrel length. I don't see a reason for anything faster than a 7 twist, I can stabilize 220gn Sierras and 200gn Maker monos just fine with it.

Supersonic hunting I'd go 16", good balance of speed and don't need any extra paperwork.

All the new 5 twist and 3 twist specialty barrels seem to be for super short self-defense monos, there's no need for that kind of spin in with a typical hunting bullet.
Was gonna register as pistol and go with 10 inch barrel but looks like NYS won't allow pistol over 50 oz and have detachable mag that is not in grip so looks like I'll be going with a 16 inch barrel, could get away with shorter barrel if I have a pinned mag but buddy had one and I hated it, so 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist, which would be best

Was gonna register as pistol and go with 10 inch barrel but looks like NYS won't allow pistol over 50 oz and have detachable mag that is not in grip so looks like I'll be going with a 16 inch barrel, could get away with shorter barrel if I have a pinned mag but buddy had one and I hated it, so 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist, which would be best
Looking at your reply again looks likes subs aren't a good choice for hunting, don't know much about the 300 blk, I like that I can slap it on my lower and use what I got, so what are the subs good for, personal protection?

Looking at your reply again looks likes subs aren't a good choice for hunting, don't know much about the 300 blk, I like that I can slap it on my lower and use what I got, so what are the subs good for, personal protection?
That's about it in close proximity IMO

so 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist, which would be best
Mine are all 7 twist, nothing lost there compared to an 8 and it'll only do better with longer bullets. I don't think there's a need to get a 5 twist like is all the rage on the AR forums, a 7 will stabilize anything you'd want to shoot at an animal IMO.

You can hunt with subs, out to 100 at least and further if you know what's going on. Something that isn't always readily apparent to people is how subs shed significantly less velocity and retain a much higher percentage of their energy compared to a lighter, high velocity bullet.

On this chart "30 Carbine" is a 110gn going 2300, "308 Win" is a 200gn going 1080fps. The gundata calc uses preloaded names, but can adjust the ballistics.
1643118195482.png

I think it's very interesting that at 300 yards the heavier subsonic has a higher level of retained energy. Meaning bullets designed to open at subsonic velocities will work anywhere in that range because they open as designed at the hit. I use Makers expanding bullets, and the theory behind big copper petal bullets like them (or Lehigh, Black Butterfly, etc.) seems to be they act about like a broadhead with how they cut through. Arrows kill with much lower energy levels than bullets put up because of how they wound versus a bullet, so if the impact of a subsonic results in a similar wound profile as a broadhead it'll kill animals the exact same way. If you view subsonic hunting as similar to bowhunting in terms of shot selection and placement, it's a very viable option.

Trajectory is much more of an arc, but that's something that can be accounted for. 300 yards isn't a chip shot, but it's doable if you practice. 300 BLK is cheap to load and practice with - takes very little powder (you can get around 700 loads from one pound), you can practice with cheap plated Berrys bullets since subsonic drops are much less (/not at all?) dependent on BC like high power, and because of that you only have to shoot in your hunting loads when you need to actually verify before using them, not all the time to practice. I like the round so much so that I have one in a bolt action, and it's near the top of my most fun to shoot guns list.

Let's be honest, a 300 BLK isn't a high horsepower round to begin with. It's 100% a compromise designed to get a .308 cal bullet moving at a subsonic velocity in a AR-15 platform, anything more than that and the compromises start stacking up. You can load it as a supersonic but it's still not up to 30-30 levels. As a sub it won't match the energy or expansion of the 450 BM and 458 SOCOM. But if you want something to run on an AR-15 lower, it's right there, highly supported, and perfectly functional. So either load it hot with something like a 101gn Hammer BlackOut and shoot it like a 30-30, or load it slow with an expanding mono like the Makers and shoot it like a bow. Put a two-layer Ballistix turret label on your scope and switch back and forth.

Last edited:
Mine are all 7 twist, nothing lost there compared to an 8 and it'll only do better with longer bullets. I don't think there's a need to get a 5 twist like is all the rage on the AR forums, a 7 will stabilize anything you'd want to shoot at an animal IMO.

You can hunt with subs, out to 100 at least and further if you know what's going on. Something that isn't always readily apparent to people is how subs shed significantly less velocity and retain a much higher percentage of their energy compared to a lighter, high velocity bullet.

On this chart "30 Carbine" is a 110gn going 2300, "308 Win" is a 200gn going 1080fps. The gundata calc uses preloaded names, but can adjust the ballistics.
View attachment 334315

I think it's very interesting that at 300 yards the heavier subsonic has a higher level of retained energy. Meaning bullets designed to open at subsonic velocities will work anywhere in that range. I use Makers expanding bullets, and the theory behind big copper petal bullets like them (or Lehigh, Black Butterfly, etc.) seems to be they act about like a broadhead with how they cut through. Arrows kill with much lower energy levels than bullets put up because of how they wound versus a bullet, so if the impact of a subsonic results in a similar wound profile as a broadhead it'll kill animals the exact same way. If you view subsonic hunting as similar to bowhunting in terms of shot selection and placement, it's a very viable option.

Trajectory is much more of an arc, but that's something that can be accounted for. 300 yards isn't a chip shot, but it's doable if you practice. 300 BLK is cheap to load and practice with - takes very little powder (you can get around 700 loads from one pound), you can practice with cheap plated Berrys bullets since subsonic drops are much less (/not at all?) dependent on BC like high power, and because of that you only have to shoot in your hunting loads when you need to actually verify before using them, not all the time to practice. I like the round so much so that I have one in a bolt action, and it's near the top of my most fun to shoot guns list.

Let's be honest, a 300 BLK isn't a high horsepower round to begin with. It's 100% a compromise designed to get a .308 cal bullet moving at a subsonic velocity in a AR-15 platform, anything more than that and the compromises start stacking up. You can load it as a supersonic but it's still not up to 30-30 levels. As a sub it won't match the energy or expansion of the 450 BM and 458 SOCOM. But if you want something to run on an AR-15 lower, it's right there, highly supported, and perfectly functional. So either load it hot with something like a 101gn Hammer BlackOut and shoot it like a 30-30, or load it slow with an expanding mono like the Makers and shoot it like a bow. Put a two-layer Ballistix turret label on your scope and switch back and forth.

Good info, think I would go lighter bullets with better range, looking more into it I see aero precision is not much more than PSA, like you many people really like the 300blk so maybe I could spend a little more on aero, do you have any experience with them.

No experience with Aero here, I looked at them but went PSA, no reason other than PSA ended up being cheaper (I feel like the included BCG versus other places not including is a $100-ish difference). Their shtick is no forward assist on the upper, I don't have an opinion there either way.

No experience with Aero here, I looked at them but went PSA, no reason other than PSA ended up being cheaper (I feel like the included BCG versus other places not including is a $100-ish difference). Their shtick is no forward assist on the upper, I don't have an opinion there either way.
What dies would you get to make 300blk out of 223, I'm thinking rcbs small base but would that only be good for first sizing?

Recent Posts