PRS Scope Options galore: Kahles, Leica, now Horus and Maven

Winkmeister

I was looking to set up a Tikka T3x Tac a1 LEFT handed (when I can find one), most likely in 6.5 Cm for an interest to start in PRS as well as use it as a "beanfield rifle" covering open expanses for deer hunting. I was debating between the Kahles (either 624 or newer 525) with the SKMR3 reticle and the new Leica PRS scope with the PRB reticle; leaning towards the Kahles...
then I learned of the Production Class which the rifle qualifies for and those scopes wouldn't. I was quite interested in the Horus as its reticle is designed for such uses and can come as a quality package with anemometer and range finder... then I found the Maven with another interesting reticle and apparent quality design and construction also in that price range-- in fact, $400 off if ordered by the 6th.
Then, being here on the Wisconsin border, I can't neglect the Vortex option with their Razor HD...

Any opinions here as to the lack of benefit of shooting Production class? or is a beginner doing well to stay qualified for it? I am in the Upper Midwest and may go to the Northern Rockies; I understand that that Class/ Category isn't always offered/ acknowledged at different events.
Anyone looked through more than one of these scopes outdoors to give a comparison? I've not been able to find much. Thanks for your suggestions.

I will add the links that I was using here; if not allowed, message me and I will remove.
Production Class options:
vs. non-Production class considerations:

Last edited:
What's the price cap for a factory rifle?
As I understand it, Production rifles and scopes can now each be under $2k; it used to be 3k total, with one of them no more than 2, but was recently changed to under 2k MSRP each max.
MSRP, not the deal of the day you got out of someone's basement ;)
Which is why I changed my "focus"... to the Maven and the Horus.
Horus is an Idaho company, not sure where the scope is made; Maven is a Wyoming company and the scope is Japanese construction; Vortex from Wisconsin, and I don't recall where the Razor HD model is made...

Last edited:
There are so many options when it comes to the $1500 - $2000 scopes today. Most are made by LOW,and use the same scope body design,so the only differences are usually the reticle style,turret style,and lens quality used by each different brand.
Athlon Cronus BTR
Maven RS.4
Delta Stryker HD
Tract Toric UHD
Any of these would be good choices for a sub $2k scope.

How much was the rifle?
The MSRP of the rifle is not given at Tikka's website. Guns & Ammo reported it as being $1,800 in a 2018 review and Tactical Life stated it as $1,899 in a September 2019 review. (If not already allowed/ exempted, I would want to see PRS or others with classifications by price exempt an identical model that might cost more because it is Left Handed or in a different color). I'm not sure how Production class rules deal with models that advance over time beyond that 2k threshold...
Street price varies from 15 and change to 16ish for basic black in RH here and there; those that have LH are often at 1848 and in brown at 1998-- on initial search.
They're usually not in stock/ back-ordered.

Maven, Leica both made by Lowe in Japan on the same basic frame, the Athlon cronus, delta Stryker use same frame, it's getting dated but obviously it's not going to change as they're still selling. Khales is excellent, I have a k624i and the dexterity ie turrets, parallax, illumination, finish ALL excellent. The glass of very bright and colorful but there is some CA and for some reason doesn't seem as sharp as my NF or Minox, idk it's hard to describe. But it's still an excellent optic, especially for the price I paid.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.