proven loads for a 28 inches "edge"....

JOSE A. MARINE

please help, Do any of you guys use your edge with a 28 inches long barrel?

what is working for you guys?

mine is a shilen 28 inches long #4 contour with a holland quick discharge brake..

please help.. bullets and powder are very expensive cown here...

from down under the bravo

Joe

Can't go wrong with H1000 and 300 Sierra Match Kings. Anywhere from 90 to 94 grains is going to give you up to 2850fps. I loading mine at COL 3.775" per the guy that built it, but I think most recommend 3.785". Check out Shawn's site. He got some load data in one of his articles. ..::Defensive Edge - Custom Gunsmithing::... Not sure if my chrono is off, but I'm able to get the velocities out my 28" Brux that most guys are getting with 30". Good luck!

Doug

Thanks, I usually load some 300 grainers, with h1000 but also have some 200 grain combined technologies, some 250 grain gamekings.

I just got two pounds of RL 25 and wanted to load some, but only with some proven experiences...

its so expensive to test, specially where each bullet costs around a dollar each(here in mexico).

please, if you have another recipe worth sharing, please do it.

thanks
Joe

I have some loads with the 250 gameking and re25. All the 338-300 ultramags I did had my specific freebore in them so I don't know how that would translate to your rifle. I think you could start at 95 grains and work up if you have fed 215 primers. With my rifles the best accuracy hit right around 97.5 grains. Re25 also works with the 300 grain.

THANKS, could you send my a private message with some loads, of course I´ll have to try different loads, but if could save some time/money its worth the shot.

my rifle has chamber made specifically for the 300 grainr.
so I know it has some freebore, I´ll try measuring it tonight.

thanks
Joe

My accuracy load for my 28" Edge is 89.5 grains of H1000 under the 300 SMK using the CCI 250 mag primer. A small extreme spread and excellent accuracy. It is slow for Edge standards (2725 FPS) but scary accurate and is flawless for day to day consistency. Depending on the lot of powder, it seems that 89-94 grains under the 300 SMK in the 338 Edge is one of the best rifle/load combos in the history of long range rifles. It is like shooting Federal gold medal match 168's in a 308. It works flawlessly from rifle to rifle as long as the rifle is put together even half way decent.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.