Proven load now resulting in clickers?

new quest
semi custom build for left handed son.
Remington 700 long action in ADL is basis. Shoots good with Timney trigger and Swarovski scope.
looking for after market stock.
any guidance from lefty's out there?

I had a Remington 700 with Douglas air gauge in 280AI. Loads right at max about third firing loads became hard to chamber. I ended up grinding .010 off the bottom of the die, set it up to resize shoulder an additional .002-.003. Have not had a problem since.
I'm not having a chambering issue. It's the stuck cartridge after firing. Bolt opens smoothly, but, "click". Then out comes the cleaning rod. The brass is Nosler. Now I'm ready to use Peterson. If it persists, I have a more expensive problem.

I have fought the dreaded clicker problem forever in my 300WSM. I shot at max book loads to max out performance. I got clickers at about 3-4 loads and the web is expanded. I backed off loads and got more life and clickers dropped off quite a bit. I've tried all sorts of dies and never found a cure other than backing off loads. Small base dies will help but I did not want to special order etc.

Edit added: Hornady brass was better than Win brass for longevity for clickers for me.

Last edited:
I'm not having a chambering issue. It's the stuck cartridge after firing. Bolt opens smoothly, but, "click". Then out comes the cleaning rod. The brass is Nosler. Now I'm ready to use Peterson. If it persists, I have a more expensive problem.

I should have added the base was resized a bit more and it cured the clicking problem.

WSM cases have been around for a long time. Why is it that we haven't heard of this issue until recently if its related to short/fat cases? PRC, SUAM, etc.?

That is a good question, I wonder if it's because we have all these new powder options and are pushing things more then ever before in terms of performance?

I have just gone through this with my 6.5 PRC. You are not doing anything wrong. What's happening is after the second or third firing, your brass is not able to be resized small enough at the base. ADG brass is heavier than most and seems to have the most issues. I am having Whidden Gun Works make me a custom die that will resize the base a little bit smaller than a SAMMI spec die. The research that I have done, shows there are two ways to correct the bolt click. One alter the size of the chamber or have a custom die alter the brass.
Or better yet, both. I'm having a custom reamer made for my PRC's. 300 and 6.5.

I have dies that won't size the web near the base enough and other brands that will. I've cut the top off dies and ground the base or shellholder so I can size as far down as I want without bumping the shoulder - I do the shoulder bump with a separate die - and sometimes the neck with a 3rd collet die.

That is a good question, I wonder if it's because we have all these new powder options and are pushing things more then ever before in terms of performance?
I think it's also because we are getting match grade brass also for match grade type chambers, ie ADG. I measured unfired Hornady brass and ADG and there's significant difference with measurements at the Web. Hornady brass at the web is few thousandths smaller at the web. ADG is very tight from the beginning. Anyways, don't want to hijack the thread.

I've got about 450 rounds through my 7 Saum now and have been shooting the same load for about 350 of them. 60.9 grains RL26 with a 180 vld hunting and Cci 250s with ADG brass. Shooting right at 3005fps. This loads given me es And SD's consistently single digits. And shot 1/2 minute consistently. I've even shot this sub 1/2 minutes at 1050 yards. This summer I began testing 184 hybrids and had solid results and worked up to 61.5 grains of rl26 for 2978 average with zero pressure signs. I then loaded some at 61.7 and once again had zero pressure signs and was shooting about 2995 FPS with an ES of 10.

Fast forward to the next range trip and that same load along with the 61.5 grain load gave me clickers. (Twice fired brass on these loads with 184 hybrids) I decided I'd try my proven load with the 180 vldh mentioned above (6 firings on this brass) to verify things are good, clickers with that load as well. Put over the Labradar and velocity was still exactly where I left it. With very tight ES, and SD. Only thing I did notice is that they were slightly tight on bolt close. I stopped shooting and returned home to investigate further. Only issue I could find was the primer pockets were fairly dirty, and possibly holding primers out more then normal. But with one set of brass being 2x fired and the other 6x fired have a hard time believing this is causing clickers in both sets of brass.

Any ideas or input? I've since unloaded all ammo, deprimed and cleaned all primer pockets. My next move at the moment is to load a ladder with both bullets and check again. Unfortunately I'm in Washington and bear opens Sunday. Leaving me nothing but my 6.5 creedmoor dialed in. I'll use it but severely cuts my distance down
Sorry can't keep reading to find out...WHAT THE "H" is a Clicker...

I had a Remington 700 with Douglas air gauge in 280AI. Loads right at max about third firing loads became hard to chamber. I ended up grinding .010 off the bottom of the die, set it up to resize shoulder an additional .002-.003. Have not had a problem since.
I fixed my 6.5 PRC tight fitting cases by bumping the should 4-5 thou instead of the usually prescribed 2 thou. I can mechanically explain it but the web, once I got the bump down to 4-5 thou, started sizing down to where they needed to be, which was 0.532. It seems like in my rifle even 0.5325 would cause the bolt to close tight. This was done with Hornady brass and my not work with the thicker brass or certain rifles, but it might be worth trying before tearing apart a rifle.

Last edited: