Proud of Daughter

Yeah on that. Being one of enforcement of the law of many years, I can agree.

Some of us can agree, some disadvantaged and poor hungry folks without resources should be allowed to take game. This is just a personal opinion of someone that has seen a lot of extreme poverty and hunger.
Unfortunately that would be very hard to regulate and people being people, it would be taken advantage of almost instantly. There are programs across the nation where hunter help the needed and amazing amounts of venison and other game is donated for free every year to the needy. More can be done for sure but hunters are helping in many areas and have for many years.

My father-in-law talked about times he went to the store and had money to buy .22 ammo and matches. That was all. I'm pretty sure he poached more deer in his life than he shot legally. Back then there were lots of deer, and a lot less people, so it was no harm to anyone.

We turned in a poacher who was driving into the wilderness and shooting elk with an AR-15. He had killed 3 elk in one weekend. Pretty sure he was selling that meat. He knew he was busted, and got rid of his guns, so he only got busted for wilderness incursion. Not satisfying.
If the choice was watching your family starve or poaching a deer, i bet nearly 100% of us would become poachers…..

Unfortunately that would be very hard to regulate and people being people, it would be taken advantage of almost instantly. There are programs across the nation where hunter help the needed and amazing amounts of venison and other game is donated for free every year to the needy. More can be done for sure but hunters are helping in many areas and have for many years.
Well said ,Fifty. We also had a list of folks that asked for roadkills that got dropped because of nobody would take roadkills during warm weather.

We see literally dozens and dozens of road killed deer every year within 10 miles of my home. Likely pushing into the hundreds over a year. Obviously many are not useful for eating but many more are. Montana recently passed a law that if you had an unused hunting tag, you could call the FWP and claim road killed deer if you wanted. Me personally, i think its silly to require a hunting license, there is no hunting involved. If there is a usable deer killed on the road, anyone should be able to take it, require a call to the FWP, fine but drop the license requirement. Just another money grab scheme from montana FWP which they are very good at. Managing game populations and game quality, not good at all at doing…..

We see literally dozens and dozens of road killed deer every year within 10 miles of my home. Likely pushing into the hundreds over a year. Obviously many are not useful for eating but many more are. Montana recently passed a law that if you had an unused hunting tag, you could call the FWP and claim road killed deer if you wanted. Me personally, i think its silly to require a hunting license, there is no hunting involved. If there is a usable deer killed on the road, anyone should be able to take it, require a call to the FWP, fine but drop the license requirement. Just another money grab scheme from montana FWP which they are very good at. Managing game populations and game quality, not good at all at doing…..
I agree with you, Fifty! Here in Iowa, anyone can claim a roadkill without a license. I have written many official travel permits for folks claiming road kills.