Proud dad, and excited dad!!

My kids are finally getting the shooting bug. I didn't want to force it upon them, and burn them out. So I've sat patiently crossing my fingers. They've shown a little interest here and there, but the last year they've been hounding me to shoot. So we've been shooting most weekends. Went out and shot the 22lr today, and got them on their first center fire cartridge. The 224 Valkyrie was the perfect first center fire for them to shoot. No recoil, and they were able to smack pop bottles at 100 yards. Not bad for 8 year olds. Here in Az it's time to put in for elk hunts. They'll be 9 in a month, which means they can do hunter safety this year, and a year from today they get to put in for their first big game hunt. Exciting times for an eager father. Haha.
Great to see PowellSixO - similar story - had my boys learn to shoot my old pellet gun when they were 6/7 and 22LR when 9/10 but they were only so-so interested. Fast forward a few years and the 17HMR shooting gophers caught their attention for a short while - but they were so busy with football, hockey etc they just didn't seem to have enough time to catch the hunting bug. This continued until after their university years - then they and buds all began to show interest. Now in early 30's and they can't get enough - moose, mulies, whitetail, antelope (still waiting on elk tags) - all great hunts and forever family memories. Looking back they can't believe it took them so long but now they're in with both feet and getting LRH itch and 300WSMs, 6.5x55AIs, and 270s have replaced that old pellet gun. Dad is so proud and having fun helping them learn as much about rifles, hunting, reloading and long range accuracy as they can absorb. Sometimes it just takes a little longer than we'd like but its been well worth the wait. Have fun with it all!

Definitely the same I've got two daughters that are very interested in shooting 13 & 10. I get more excited then they do LOL they love challenging them selves for certain shot attempts with 22 / 223 / 243 / 243 Ackley . Anything to spend time with them is a blessing and they are totally up for out shooting their dad with challenges and I love it!!

At age 6 I started both of my kids on BB guns, and wouldn't let them put scopes on them. I made them learn the way I did. I feel being proficient with iron sights will make you a better shot. At age 7 I started them on the 22 Lr, but only let them shoot off a bench for safety. Now that they've shown responsible gun handling at age 8, I let them load the magazines, load the rifle, and set themselves up on the 22 Lr. Once they were capable of that safely, I decided to let them shoot the 224 Valkyrie. I only put one in the magazine at a time, so they can't get whiskey throttle. I was impressed with how far they've come with gun safety. They're not perfect, but they're learning the principles of safe gun handling. By the time they turn 10, I believe they'll be responsible enough to hunt. I just hope they can draw a tag. It's getting tough to get tags in Az these days. They definitely won't have as many hunting opportunities that I had growing up, or should I say draw opportunities. However my dad was not as into hunting and shooting as I am, so I'm going to try and make as many opportunities as I can for them. I'm having more fun with them than I have on my own. Can't wait to teach them how to shoot to a mile. They've already joined me at the reloading table, so it's not far off.

My kids are finally getting the shooting bug. I didn't want to force it upon them, and burn them out. So I've sat patiently crossing my fingers. They've shown a little interest here and there, but the last year they've been hounding me to shoot. So we've been shooting most weekends. Went out and shot the 22lr today, and got them on their first center fire cartridge. The 224 Valkyrie was the perfect first center fire for them to shoot. No recoil, and they were able to smack pop bottles at 100 yards. Not bad for 8 year olds. Here in Az it's time to put in for elk hunts. They'll be 9 in a month, which means they can do hunter safety this year, and a year from today they get to put in for their first big game hunt. Exciting times for an eager father. Haha.View attachment 249404View attachment 249405View attachment 249407View attachment 249408
Great job dad !! Seeing pics of your kids brought back a lot of memories when my kids were that age . I'm a grand dad now and getting the grand kids into shooting , hunting . Keep up the good work !!

That's awesome. It's so exciting isnt it!. My boys sorta took an interest but my daughter who's your girls age is all over it. She even brought a muffin and hot chocolate to help load.

Attachments

• 20210206_171402.jpg
    20210206_171402.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 94
It is great spending time with your kids and teaching them to shoot. Did you also teach them to clean up the broken bottles?
Absolutely. We bring trash bags with us. One of the first things I taught them was to leave an are cleaner than you find it. We've personally picked up dozens of bags of trash. They do not like cleaning up other people's trash, but I do believe it's good for them. I don't understand how people can leave their crap in the woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.