Protecting rifle muzzle from weather on elk hunt

I just cut fingers off cheap nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight and slide onto barrel and tape to hold in place. Pick the right finger for barrel contour! Plus having a few of these gloves around for field dressing or even first aid to protect a wound on your hand from further potential infection out in the field is simple and effective. And yes, it was me that needed one for a wound. Blue or black your choice!

I just cut fingers off cheap nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight and slide onto barrel and tape to hold in place. Pick the right finger for barrel contour! Plus having a few of these gloves around for field dressing or even first aid to protect a wound on your hand from further potential infection out in the field is simple and effective. And yes, it was me that needed one for a wound. Blue or black your choice!
I do this ^^^^? EasyPeasy!

What do folks use to seal the muzzle when its raining and snowing? My 300 win mag has a brake on it and I am not sure if I should tape it all up, do the old army trick of putting a condom over the end of it or not worry about it. I haven't had a wet, sloppy hunt but have my second one booked and thinking I want to be ready if the weather turns crappy.

Thanks
I've always used electric tape and never had any problems. Once over the muzzle first, then around brake ports. They blow off with gas pressure. I usually wrap a few times around the barrel just to have spare tape after the shot without the need to Cary the roll. Prolly not scientific enough for some folk but works for me.

So easy a caveman can do it.

I've always used electric tape and never had any problems. Once over the muzzle first, then around brake ports. They blow off with gas pressure. I usually wrap a few times around the barrel just to have spare tape after the shot without the need to Cary the roll. Prolly not scientific enough for some folk but works for me.

We always "carry the roll"! Electrical tape can be used for many things....from a first aid situation to temporary equipment in field repair! Electrical tape ....the next best thing to "tie wire"! 😉 memtb

We always "carry the roll"! Electrical tape can be used for many things....from a first aid situation to temporary equipment in field repair! Electrical tape ....the next best thing to "tie wire"! 😉 memtb
True to that, I had to use some of my spare tape on an elk hunt in NM as at the range to check poi my floorplate started popping open every shot on my 338 edge. Electric tape to the rescue!! The rest of the tape was used on tag. Should have carried the roll 🙈

Attachments

• 114E37FE-F586-43B0-99B0-59160B462618.jpeg
    114E37FE-F586-43B0-99B0-59160B462618.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 145
Cling film. Just check your zero on the range before going hunting.
Got to say it's a bugger if you lose the end in cold weather (the cling film timothy).
I used to use it on my rem 1100 with cutts when I was duck shooting on the coast.

What do folks use to seal the muzzle when its raining and snowing? My 300 win mag has a brake on it and I am not sure if I should tape it all up, do the old army trick of putting a condom over the end of it or not worry about it. I haven't had a wet, sloppy hunt but have my second one booked and thinking I want to be ready if the weather turns crappy.

Thanks
Electrical tape. One piece over the hole, and a few wraps around the circumference to hold it on. It does not effect accuracy. I've made shots in excess of 500 yds through a taped muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.