Protecting rifle muzzle from weather on elk hunt

Chris J Spierings

What do folks use to seal the muzzle when its raining and snowing? My 300 win mag has a brake on it and I am not sure if I should tape it all up, do the old army trick of putting a condom over the end of it or not worry about it. I haven't had a wet, sloppy hunt but have my second one booked and thinking I want to be ready if the weather turns crappy.

Thanks

Last edited:
I ended up using "scotch" tape. The narrow, clear, tape of a roll. Put a piece over the bore of the muzzle brake and then wrap up the openings on the sides OS the muzzle brake. I had rain or snow 4 out of 5 days on my hunt this year.

I have a brake on my rifle, and I use electrical tape. I use two pieces about 6 inches long, one goes top to bottom, one goes side to side, and then I use a piece about 8 inches long to wrap around the barrel and ends of the tape to keep everything watertight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.