Protecting rifle muzzle from weather on elk hunt

PddPdd

LRH Team Member

emp1953

What do folks use to seal the muzzle when its raining and snowing? My 300 win mag has a brake on it and I am not sure if I should tape it all up, do the old army trick of putting a condom over the end of it or not worry about it. I haven't had a wet, sloppy hunt but have my second one booked and thinking I want to be ready if the weather turns crappy.

Thanks
either use finger cots. Like a condom but will only cover a finger, works great, but if you are used to old army tricks, is your rifle too long to carry muzzle down?

oops sorry I didn't realize you were dealing with a muzzle break. electrical tape. easy to transport make sure there is no lubricants of any kind on the barrel or the break otherwise the electrical tape will let go.

COBrad

I don’t use anything. If it’s raining hard I can carry muzzle down, but in almost 50 years of elk hunting I rolled down a snowy mountain side once and froze up the action and trigger, and stuck the muzzle in the snow a few times enough to find a long skinny twig to clear the snow out. I like to keep it simple, no fussing around with little stuff.

sp6x6

Tape for years

Attachments

• 0CE4B25B-2975-4A19-9475-241F99A470B1.jpeg
    0CE4B25B-2975-4A19-9475-241F99A470B1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

John McLaughlin

I've always used duct tape. One piece over the muzzle and a wrap around the barrel. Never had an issue shooting and water, snow and dirt can't get in. JM

Cody Nielsen

I tear the finger off of a latex glove and secure with either rubber and or electric tape well away from ports of the break

shootski

3M EARS foam Hearing Protector.
Roll one as if you were going to stick it in your ear but instead stick it in the muzzle. The ends are waterproof and it poops out when you shoot long before the bullet gets there! Not too many bores it won't be big enough in diameter to give a snug fit and will fit a .177 also. If you want you can cut them in half with your knife since both ends are waterproof.

shootski

Laelkhunter

3M EARS foam Hearing Protector.
Roll one as if you were going to stick it in your ear but instead stick it in the muzzle. The ends are waterproof and it poops out when you shoot long before the bullet gets there! Not too many bores it won't be big enough in diameter to give a snug fit and will fit a .177 also. If you want you can cut them in half with your knife since both ends are waterproof.

shootski

I don't think sticking anything in the muzzle is a good idea. Not only is it an obstruction, something like a foam ear plug could absorb moisture, and cause rust inside the barrel where the plug contacts in a really short time. It might work well for you, but I wouldn't do it. It might prevent rain from getting in there, but if you drop the rifle, or stick it in the snow while walking, I don't see how it could prevent anything from plugging the bore (it would just push the ear plug deeper into the barrel).
Tape or other rubber cover over the end of the barrel will stop most crap from entering the muzzle.

Last edited:

memtb

I don't think sticking anything in the muzzle is a good idea. Not only is it an obstruction, something like a foam ear plug could absorb moisture, and cause rust inside the barrel where the plug contacts in a really short time. It might work well for you, but I wouldn't do it. It might prevent rain from getting in there, but if you drop the rifle, or stick it in the snow while walking, I don't see how it could prevent anything from plugging the bore (it would just push the ear plug deeper into the barrel).
Tape or other rubber cover over the end of the barrel will stop most crap from entering the muzzle.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the post! It may work great with no issues.....but, I make a “heavy “ pass! memtb

CO_Guy

I use either the stock Leupold or Butler Creek bikini scope covers but another that uses nothing on the muzzle. It's never been an issue but I keep a critical eye on where it's at, at all times.

Quintus

Water balloons here too. On braked or non. They do the job and you shoot through them with no change of POI so you don't need to worry about getting them removed to shoot. They are also cheap, no glue residue, and you don't end up grabbing gloves with no fingers in January.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.