protecting gun bluing!

I find the best way to store a rifle for an extended period of time is muzzle down, so oil can't ruin the bedding or stock. A foam case is a no-no. What I like to do is take synthetic grease, put a very light coat on all exterior metal, oil the barrel, and then wrap the rifle with plastic wrap. Any strong rolled plastic sandwich wrap works. Then I secure the plastic wrap with electrical tape. It is a bit of work but if you plan on storing the rifle for any extended time period this is one of the best ways. I never found rust on a rifle that was stored this way.

There is an old reliable product called RIG that will totally protect your firearms from rust. For short term I use a spray called Rust Prevent from Shooters Choice. NEVER store any firearm in a soft guncase if you can avoid doing so, just not a good idea. Having said that I have done it lots of times, but always shoot Rust Prevent all over the exterior and run some on a rag down the bore.
I have seen rifles get a coating of rust in about 24 hours from being in a soft case that had wet lining.

I have a lightweight sporter that has a blued barrel, last year it started to get rust from humidy ect, I open the gun case yesterday and there was some surface rust again, I sanded down the area and cold blued the area, I apply oil and it dosen't seem to hold up, are there any better protectants I can apply to the barrel to stop this nuisance.

thanks
Chet

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts