Pro's and Con's?

That's a good picture. Also something to think about regarding an earlier post; I've never seen any Lapua ammo on ANY shelf on any store anywhere I've been. And I do quite a bit of traveling. The only time I've seen a loaded .338 Lapua was from a Canadian Sniper. By no means would I ever put the Lapua cartridge down. It is a beast. But if we are comparing then let's call it like it is. The difference is cost and one you actually can get an increase in performance when improved. If I wanted a Lapua it would be to improve it.

That's a good picture. Also something to think about regarding an earlier post; I've never seen any Lapua ammo on ANY shelf on any store anywhere I've been. And I do quite a bit of traveling. The only time I've seen a loaded .338 Lapua was from a Canadian Sniper. By no means would I ever put the Lapua cartridge down. It is a beast. But if we are comparing then let's call it like it is. The difference is cost and one you actually can get an increase in performance when improved. If I wanted a Lapua it would be to improve it.

Bravo, please let me humbly appologize if I mis-spoke. I have not looked for ammo in stores but since I see it on line I figured some stores carry it. My mistake for assuming. I have reloaded for years and don't look at center fire ammo when in stores.

But having owned, reloaded for and shot both a LM and an Edge. I will still take the LM.

Jeff

"Another point of interest is choosing dies. The Lapua dies are shelf stocking dies. Not sure what the best method for the Edge is, but I would check into this."

I stock Redding dies for the Edge, only $159.95
You can check them out on my site> Long Range Shooting

Last edited:
Really, well maybe my mistake was not so big after all. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Jeff

No problem. I know for that Cabela's carries Black Hills in 250, and 300grn. I have stopped going to Gander Mountain because there supplies are a joke, but I remember seeing loaded Lapua ammo, but not sure of the maker.

I made a mistake... I apologize, Bass Pro Shop does not. Well at least on line anyway. I do know for a fact that Cabela's carries them.

Tank

I'm not saying that nobody has it, but the likelyhood of you finding some would be luck rather then the norm. I stopped at a Cabelas in Texas a few weeks back and nadda, I for some goofy reason do go and look at what kind of ammo is on the shelves. If im out of town/state i usually try to hit the local shops to look around, and like i said "never". Looks like your best bet is to (or have your gun shop) order it.
I'm by no means trying to start an argument or downplay to Lapua, I wish we would join the rest of the smart militaries and get them issued. I'm saying that if you want to say that a plus for the Lapua is buying factory ammo then just don't expect to walk into almost any store and get some. It is more like a specialty item and rare.

Whatever route you decide on if you use H-1000 I would start much lower than 92.5 grains. The newest batches of this powder are much hotter and with 90.2 grains I was getting pressure signs and close to 2950 fps with the 300 SMK. My load is now 88 grains with 2850 fps in a RUM.

Whatever route you decide on if you use H-1000 I would start much lower than 92.5 grains. The newest batches of this powder are much hotter and with 90.2 grains I was getting pressure signs and close to 2950 fps with the 300 SMK. My load is now 88 grains with 2850 fps in a RUM.
Good point that a lot of people new to reloading never consider.

Anytime you switch lot numbers with the same powder before you go hog wild loading a bunch of shells do a test load or two to compare to your last batch, to compare velocities and check for pressure signs.

Very true and good point. The last batch change was 30 feet per second for my LM across an Oehler chrono. This time I bought five 8 lb kegs (same lot #) so we don't have to worry about this for a while.
Always start low and work up.

2850 with a 300 gr in a 338 RUM and only 88 gr of H-1000 is very fast for this chambering. If I ever seen 2950 form my Lapua I would be off getting the bolt removed from my forehead.:D

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.