Pro's and Con's?

ltrbuck

Looking to hear experienced views and ideas about 338 Lapua vs. Edge. Thanks again in advance for your valued insights!!

Very close ballisticly. It comes down to two things. Would you pay a premium to use better brass? If so go with Lapua. Are you building on a 700 action? If so go edge/RUM.

I like the Lapua for the brass quality like said above. But also you should consider if you even needed to purchase factory ammo. You will have a hard time finding it for an Edge. Like if you flew some where for a hunting trip and ammo was lost. Or, it was lost durring a pack in, heaven forbid.

My experience with the 338 edge and 300 gr bullets was not good with RP brass. About two firings and primer pockets were loose and brass went in the trash. That was with 92.5 gr of H-1000. I have fired the first 100 Lapua cases I started with 13 times now with the same 92.5 gr charge of H-1000. After even 13 firings the Lapua cases check out good and all 100 primer pockets are equally a nice tight fit. Some say Lapua brass is expensive, I say it is a value.

Also, the Lapua brass will need less prep right out of the box and will be more consistant.

Another point of interest is choosing dies. The Lapua dies are shelf stocking dies. Not sure what the best method for the Edge is, but I would check into this.

Performance is a wash between the LM and Edge, look for 2800 to 2850 depending on barrel and length, with 300 gr bullets.

What ever you choose, I recommend H-1000 and some of the new Berger Hybrid OTM's for bullets. Scary accurate!!

Jeff

I have 100 pieces of Rem brass for my edge and have put 5 reloads though each. My rifle shows pressure signs at 92gr H1000 so I load 91 for 2840 fps for the 300SMK. If you are ruining brass after two firings you are (in my opinion) way over pressure. I don't care what make the brass is, you run it too hard and it goes fast. I live fairly close to a Rem ammo plant and can sometimes can get their once fired brass for $.50 a piece. I use .338 RUM dies and they aren't special order.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Shawn Carlock usually always has 338 Edge dies in stock.

In a factory receiver it's pretty hard not to go with the 338 Edge unless you want to keep the ability to shoot factory ammo but if long range shooting/hunting with a high degree of accuracy is what you wish to achieve, factory ammo really isn't an option anyway.

If you are ruining brass after two firings you are (in my opinion) way over pressure. I don't care what make the brass is, you run it too hard and it goes fast.

Ageed, it was over pressure, for the brass anyway. No other signs of pressure were there. Bolt lift was smooth as silk. I blamed it on soft weak brass. All rifles are different, but Shawn has stated he uses a 92 gr. load. Mainly this was done to try to get the same velocities of my Lapua. The Edge was owned by a friend and even had a longer barrel. It was sold and he now shoots a Lapua.

I have nothing against an Edge, but if I was doing it again I would go with the LM again. Both are good chamerings. The OP asked for comparisons. I stated what I see as difference.

As for actions, I used a Mark V Wby and it works great. Some smiths will not build the LM on a 700, so if the only action choice is a 700 rem. action, then go Edge or .338 Rum.

Jeff

Broz

Just curious but did you look at doing a Lapua Improved at all before you had your MkV rebarreled to a standard 338 Lapua? Except for the the dies the cost is exactly the same and why not take advantage of the extra 100-150fps as well as they, typically, shoot standard 338 Lapua rounds MOA.

Broz

Just curious but did you look at doing a Lapua Improved at all before you had your MkV rebarreled to a standard 338 Lapua? Except for the the dies the cost is exactly the same and why not take advantage of the extra 100-150fps as well as they, typically, shoot standard 338 Lapua rounds MOA.

Yes I did. Long conversation with "TRGRMAN" (Joe Starns of Long Shot Precision) He advised me to go standard as I could buy shelf dies and did not have to fireform. I have since wondered about this if I rebarrel but probably not worth it since I have full competition dies already. Basically I a pretty darn happy with the LM. It has been very good to me and with over 1200 rounds still will spit out a 1/2 moa group at 1500 yrds.

Jeff

Last edited:
Broz

If you ever change your mind and go Lap. Imp. all you will need is a new FL die. You already have the Competion seater die and they can easily be turned into a Comp. seater die from your standard 338 Lapua to 338 Lap. Imp.

Fire forming is ALOT easier than you would think especially using Lapua brass since it last so long. You would be amazed at the groups standard 338 Lapua rounds will make in the 338Lap. Imp. chambers. Kind of a win win, IMO.

Just seen this the other day thought it was funny and kind applies to this conversation!

Attachments

• 338 lm.jpg
    338 lm.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.