pros and cons for used rifles?

socalhunter

I am feeling a little bit guilty that I didn't buy my son a used BSA .300 win mag for $300 with a one year warranty and slap a new Redfield scope on it. Assuming one buys a used rifle from a gun store that has been around for decades and is near where one lives ( in my case Martin B Reddings in Culver City, Ca and Bain and Davis in San Garbriel, CA) and the paramaters are a 300 win Mag accurate to say 400 yards ( my definition of long range hunting yours may vary) for elk using a scope in the $400 to $500 range) what used warrantied rifle would you look for? By no means would I exclude a new factory rifle say the TC Icon, Wt:)by Vanguard or Savage just trying to save some bucks for a decent scope.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

There are plenty of $350 and under Vanguards on Gunbroker, and your search widens if you'd accept a 300 Wby mag.

New one for $310:
Weatherby Vanguard 300 Wby NEW : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

$389 for 300 WSM with scope:
Weatherby Vanguard : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

NIB 300 WSM:
Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic 300WSM : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

300 Win Mag with scope:
Weatherby Vanguard 300WinMag w/ Scope Pkg : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Another:
Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Rifle w/Synthetic Stock : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

I picked up one locally last year in 300 Wby for $300, so the deals do exist.
I really like my Vanguards, and honestly I'd buy a new one at a local store if you can find the caliber you like. They're a great deal at about $459 and very accurate.

Good luck with your search!

I love buying used guns of all kinds. The key is knowing how to properly assess the condition of the gun, and understanding what, if anything, you will have to do to get it to do what you want. If you are not knowledgeable about guns and their innards, bring a friend who is. Have fun and enjoy saving a few bucks.

Some people quickly shoot out their rifles and/or abuse them. Many, are just safe queens. As such, used guns are often a great value.

Most gun stores don't guarantee/warranty used guns anyway.

If you have a good relationship with them, they "might" let you shoot it first.

Aside from not being able to look 'em in the eye, there are lots of good (and bad) deals on gunbroker. Don't forget to factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees.

Gun shows are freqently a good compromise between gun stores and the internet. If nothing else, you may get to look at and handle a larger variety of rifles before making a purchase.

-- richard

Thanks guys . I might very well go with a Wby Vanguard since they are priced right and I have not heard anything bad about them plus they have a 2yr warranty. IMO the problem with Wby cartridges is not that they are not effective it is that if I for any reason I am on a hunting trip and for some reason I lost my cartridges they would be hard to replace vs the more common calibers. The problem with Gunbroker is that if I bought a lemon it would be very time consuming to go to another state and take them to small claims court. For Calif hunters a potential problem with Wby cartridges for those who for various reasons cant handload is that we must use for a good portion of our state non lead ammo thus the more common calibers are a better choice.

I have in the past bought very nice used shotguns with no problems and the two stores I mentioned do warranty their firearms. I have been fortunate to to have to take my shotguns in for repair.

I was interested in the BSA and other less common brands since the fore mentioned BSA might of been a real good deal ; I just am not very familiar with that brand.

Thanks;
Socalhunter

Thanks guys . I might very well go with a Wby Vanguard since they are priced right and I have not heard anything bad about them plus they have a 2yr warranty. IMO the problem with Wby cartridges is not that they are not effective it is that if I for any reason I am on a hunting trip and for some reason I lost my cartridges they would be hard to replace vs the more common calibers.

Socalhunter

The Weatherby has a lifetime warranty, not 2 years. They take each rifle on a case-by-case basis if it needs repairs.

Also, I've never put much stock in the "if I go hunting and forget my ammo" argument when choosing a caliber. If so, I assume you won't handload either, as handloads are even more difficult to replace than factory ammo. You might want a 270 or 30-06 then as they seem to be the caliber available at any store. :D Just taking the other side of it for a moment.

I always take 3 or 4 boxes of ammo, and store them in 2 different places. Despite that I've sure never left my ammo behind. Other items yes, ammo no. :D

Good luck with the rifle search!

Good point about the Wby cant beat the warranty. I do own two .270s but I need something bigger for elk should I get lucky:)

Socalhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.