proper cleaning

wildchild

Im new to the Ar world and purchased my first used AR10 and replacing the barrel with a hopefully better shooting one. being a past precision guru with custom actioned and barreled and jeweled trigger single shooter outfits and properly breaking in a barrel with a bore guid and cleaning rod,....this outfit has me thinking I have to cram a rod from the carefully cut crowned end!!! So whats my options to shoot a few and clean and repeat??
thanks

Push the rear pin (upper to lower connection) and break open. Then remove the bolt carrier, insert a rod guide(avaialble from Sinclair and most reloading supply shops) and clean from the breech.

I drag mine behind the truck for awhile every 500 rounds:D! But yeah, as stated above, pop the rear take down pin and clean the barrel as you would any other rifle.

I really like this web site but when you are talking ARs it's AR15.com for questions like this one.

Just be careful, there is such as thing as the black rifle obsession. I never got it but I know plenty that have. Kind of like the Cooper obsession, once you have one you want more and more.

Directly on topic - it takes time to clean correctly. Many shooters don't clean it every time out. AR15.com will point you in the right direction regarding cleaning.

Something, I will add many people say you do not need to clean gas tube, not true I found this out this past May on a Wy. prarie dog shoot when my AR quit cycling because of dirty gas tube.

A malfunctioning AR is caused by something other than a properly installed gas tube getting dirty, and no, they DO NOT need to be cleaned. In fact, that's a fast way to wind up at a gunsmith, with his having to disasseble the rifle to remove the now stuck pipe cleaner in the tube. Yes, I know there's kits available for this, but that's someone taking advantage of a marketing gimmick, not sevicing an actual need. Pure snake oil, nothing more. The military doesn't clean their gas tubes, and I'll guarantee you they see far more abuse than any of our rifles ever will.

Kevin - Do you know of a good web site or link that gives practical cleaning advice?

The straight military PMs and FMs are probably the most authoratative sources, but there's some other decent references out there as well. I'd recommend most anything that Glen Zediker's done, as well as the books by Derrick Martin or John Feamster. These all deal with competitve ARs in particular, but they all touch on cleaning pretty thoroughly. Derrick, if I recall correctly specifically mentions the gas tube cleaning debacles, and I've been in his shop at Camp Perry when one of these guns was brought in by a shooter. Yeah, quite a discussion on that one.

As far as websites, I'm sure there are, but I can't say which ones. There's a ton of info on AR15.com, some good, some bad, some total BS. I'd take much of what you find thre with very large grains of salt. You might also check the National Match forum at usrifleteams.com. Some very good info there, devided by rifle type; AR, M1 or M14, etc..

Thanks Kevin.

I agree regarding AR15.com. You have to take it with a grain of salt. When I was shooting those rifles I read it looking for the best ammo deals and before Iraq 2 there were some darn good ammo deals. There were also some very good members who did pass on their knowledge, I am not sure they are still there.

Many thanks for suggesting the books. I already have Glen Zediker's book on Handloading (will read this winter). I know he is the authority on slings.

A malfunctioning AR is caused by something other than a properly installed gas tube getting dirty, and no, they DO NOT need to be cleaned. In fact, that's a fast way to wind up at a gunsmith, with his having to disasseble the rifle to remove the now stuck pipe cleaner in the tube. Yes, I know there's kits available for this, but that's someone taking advantage of a marketing gimmick, not sevicing an actual need. Pure snake oil, nothing more. The military doesn't clean their gas tubes, and I'll guarantee you they see far more abuse than any of our rifles ever will.

Actually it WAS a gunsmith that took the gas tube off and cleaned it and port, put it back togeather and it runs just fine. But I guess you seem to know more about it than he does he is only building and selling about 20-25 a week right now. I'll let him know you never have to clean a gas port.

rick523,

Taking a bad gas tube off and replacing it (which is what I'll bet he actually did) isn't exactly a routine cleaning operation, it's upper echelon maintanence and repair. Built more than a few ARs myself over the years and have been using them extensively for about 35 years now. There was definately something else going on with that rifle.

With my Rock River .308 I treat it about like my bolt guns as it has a stainless barrel. With my chrome lined barrel on my 5.56 I am meticulous but careful with the solvents used. +1 on the Sinclair bore guide. Also, make sure to take bolt/carrier apart to get all the carbon out. They make special brushes and tools to hit all of the nooks and crannies. However, standard cleaning items can work. There is a plethora of info about cleaning on the web. I know some guys use and abuse there ARs but I try to keep them as maintained as any other weapon. Take care of it so it will function when you need it. My .02 . Have a good one!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.