Proper cheek well

J E Custom

An often over looked and very important part of precision shooting and load development is proper optical alignment with your eye.

Most of the experienced shooters understand the importance of cheek well alignment and know that Improper alignment of your eye can have the same effect as poor parallax and cause poor accuracy. But sometimes all of us forget to make the proper adjustments in the cheek piece or the scope rings on a new rifle.

Proper cheek well and eye alignment is very important and will always improve your accuracy.

I saw this Video and though it explained the importance well.

I learned the importance wing shooting and found the same importance when shooting matches and developing accuracy loads.

Some thing to think about

J E CUSTOM

Excellent information. I need to fine tune my cheek weld. I have a couple problems. 1 - do I bunch up the cheek at the corner of the mouth, or rest under the cheek bone? 2 - I seem to put too much side pressure on the stock with my cheek/face. This causes the back end of the rifle to move during recoil resulting in my view through the scope to be shifted off target. How do I stop applying side pressure?

I've probably got other problems that I need to work out to improve my accuracy and precision.

Excellent information. I need to fine tune my cheek weld. I have a couple problems. 1 - do I bunch up the cheek at the corner of the mouth, or rest under the cheek bone? 2 - I seem to put too much side pressure on the stock with my cheek/face. This causes the back end of the rifle to move during recoil resulting in my view through the scope to be shifted off target. How do I stop applying side pressure?

I've probably got other problems that I need to work out to improve my accuracy and precision.
Never put it together till reading this but that's the same problem I have. I just noticed it last weekend when shooting, I was trying to pay attention to how I was gripping the rifle and focusing on trying to stay on target through the recoil, but kept finding myself shifting to the side....now the hard part figuring out how to break that 25 yr old habit

i like to rest on my cheekbone. i have a luth AR stock on my creedmoor, but on my other guns, i usually duct tape a piece of foam on the stock so that my head rests in the same spot every time.

Way way back (91) I attended an advanced sniper course at Quantico. We were required to have a rifle capable of 1 MOA, Mil Dot reticle, a 1917 sling, bi pods were allowed. Lazer range finders had not been invented yet, or were still a military secret.
Lead instructor was a buddy/peer of Carlos Hathcock
Anyway he spent quite a bit of time on the subject, not nearly as entertaining as that young lady. I remember that once we sorta had it figured out he had us mess with our check weld to see what happens.
Next day was natural point of aim. His theory, if natural point of aim is messed up you start forcing the rifle with your face. Learned an awful lot in those two weeks.
I was convinced cheek weld matters.

Salmon chaser - could you describe what part of you face is contacting the stock and anything else that makes a difference?

My duty rifle at the time was a wood stocked, Remington 700 in .308. It took about two years but its replacement had an adjustable comb.
In any event with most of my rifles my cheek bone rides about a quarter of an inch above the comb my nose just above the leading edge of the comb. Pressure is probably equal to the side and down.
If I was competing at long range stuff I would definitely have an adjustable comb.
Much like an archers anchor point I used to tape a small ball bearing to the side of my stock so that I could consistently feel it with the corner of my mouth.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.