Proof vs Christensen

TC338

I know this has been debated in the past, but looking for updated info. Any advantage to one over the other? Rifle will be used for mainly hunting with a little target practice. I know the proof is cut rifled and the Christensen is button rifled. Is there an advantage either way?

I have some of each and they both perform excellently, as in commonly printing .3 MOA and better groups beyond 300 yards. I would feel confident either way.

If it were me, I'd go with whichever one will leave the most coin in your pocket.

I've thought about carbon six as well, but with only around $50-80 difference between that and a proof, I'd probably lean towards proof for now.

Have a 300WM christensen barrel and it shoots wonderfully. Can't imagine much improvement over what it's already doing. Ordered from optics planet during a sale and got it for under $500, now that's a deal.

I like proofs. You can get a 1:8 twist with proof. I have a 28 nosler and with the new bullets its a must to take full advantage of them. Not that 1:9 wouldn't work. My gunsmith charged me $600 for my proof barrel.

These are Christensens. I would save my money and go this route.
jnnfhkem.jpg

hGC3maKm.jpg

xAHzQQIm.jpg

LGWNLV0m.jpg

9FeLnkum.jpg

I have a Christensen Arms Classic in a 338 Lapua and it's a tack driver.
I just got back my rebarreled 7STW from Carbon Six (had them install the new barrel) and just broke the barrel in and zeroed the scope 2 days ago. I will be doing load development for it now, but it looks like its going to be a shooter. It put 2 bullets in one hole after I zeroed the scope. The workmanship of the Carbon Six barrel is beautiful

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.