Proof or Hells canyon carbon fiber barrel

Ronin75

I'm in the planning stages of replacing the current barrel on my Rem 700 7mm RM. Anyone have first hand experience with either of the two barrels in 7mm RM. I'll be shooting Barnes TTXS LR 168 grain bullets. Additionally any input regarding twist rate for this barrel. Thanks for any help

My first carbon fiber barrel was a proof and it shot lights out, would buy another in a second.
You'll want a 1:8 for the 168 lrx. Will also allow you to throw a hammer downrange if the lrx doesnt tickle your fancy.

I've got a proof and a hells canyon barrel. Neither are 7mm but both are shooters. I'd just buy whichever one suits you the best. They're both very high quality barrels. The hells canyon can be cut to whatever length you want whereas the proof cannot and also you can pretty well get a hells canyon in any twist or rifling you want so they leave some more options open. It can be a pretty long wait for the hells canyon though. A lot of people keep 8 twist 7mm proofs in stock.

Thanks for the info. My last question is what is the advantage of a 1/8 twist or a 1/8.5 twist or a 1/9 twist barrel. I ask because I try and shoot a fair amount of practice rounds for positional shooting using 139 - 154 grain bullets. Because I live in a lead free state I'm stuck with shooting 150 or 168 grain bullets for hunting

Do you reload? There are some better options available for copper long range bullets if you do. They do require faster twists though. And if you're shooting copper bullets, you don't have to worry about the lighter ones coming apart from being over spun in a faster than required twist so it won't hold you back. And to be honest, I'd think you wouldn't have a problem with a 140grn lead core bullet coming apart in an 8 twist either.

You'll need an 8 twist for the 168s
Thanks for the info. My last question is what is the advantage of a 1/8 twist or a 1/8.5 twist or a 1/9 twist barrel. I ask because I try and shoot a fair amount of practice rounds for positional shooting using 139 - 154 grain bullets. Because I live in a lead free state I'm stuck with shooting 150 or 168 grain bullets for hunting

I have both barrels in 7mm. The HCA is in 7WSM, and the Proof is in 7Wby. Both shoot great. I too live in a lead free state and all my 7 barrels are 8 twist to shoot the Barnes 168 LRX. I found that slower twists would not always stabilize the 168. I also recently tried some 169 Hammer Hunters in my 7Wby. No shots on game yet so I cannot comment on their performance, the they shoot great.

Good luck!

My hca barrel for my 338 edge shoots great and isn't picky.
FWIW-my gunsmith commented that there hca barrel had more metal under the carbon than the proof barrels. Have no idea if it's good or bad.

My hca barrel for my 338 edge shoots great and isn't picky.
FWIW-my gunsmith commented that there hca barrel had more metal under the carbon than the proof barrels. Have no idea if it's good or bad.
That's very interesting, wonder what the weight difference is?

A few other options, carbonsix, paradigm carbon, and Helix 6. Pretty solid reviews on Helix and carbon6. I'm going to try a new paradigm barrel in their lighter contour at 22" or so. Should be just over 2#.

Resurrecting this old thread because I need to know if there is a substantial performance difference, vibration frequency, stiffness, or heat dissipation between HCA's parallel carbon layup and Proof's helical layup???

Resurrecting this old thread because I need to know if there is a substantial performance difference, vibration frequency, stiffness, or heat dissipation between HCA's parallel carbon layup and Proof's helical layup???
If I had to suggest a carbon barrel of any manufacturer that's known reliable and best chance of accuracy, I'd suggest a bartlein. They're probably the heaviest, but there is more steel in there.