Prone Shooting Positioning: Straight Line vs Angle/Bent Knee

Hunting positions usually require ad hoc set-ups, unless you're pre-positioned and waiting in an ambush position. Long range hunters, I've been taught, establish well thought out sites permitting the very best practices to be employed, including lining up directly behind the rifle. Regardless of that norm; individual shooters have to operate within their own physical limitations. Your mileage may vary.

I've experienced poi shift when canting my body to the side, as others have said, make due with what ur forced to, but square behind, legs spread wide is most consistent for myself

I have been reading Nathan Foster's "The Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting, The art of a clean kill" and doing dry fire exercises trying to improve my fundamentals from different shooting positions. In the book, Mr. Foster describes straight line prone shooting as a "hot shot idea" and he presents an angled approach with a bent knee for a more stable shooting position. This is different from what I have researched and seen other shooters at the range doing.

I am looking to establish solid fundamentals and not get into bad habits while I am young. What has been your guys'/gals' experiences or tips for shooting prone?

Thanks!

The way I was taught, was to get into a comfortable position with your eyes closed and without moving, open your eyes and see where you are aiming. If you are not on target, move in the right direction until your position is naturally pointing you dead on center.

During the rapid fire events this greatly improved my scores buy allowing my position to correct the effects of recoil and I didn't have to horse the rifle in position to hit the center for each shot, just make minor adjustments in the hold.

Its like wing shooting a shot gun or making a running shot with a rifle. Shoulder the weapon with your eyes closed, and if your not looking straight down the barrel or through the scope, the weapon Doesn't fit you properly and you will never shoot as well as you can with a proper fitting weapon or a proper position for you.

If you have a belly (Like most of us) the folded knee normally works best. (Most comfortable, and doesn't apply pressure to your chest and heart causing an enhanced heart beat.

The best position is what ever works best for you ! 👍

J E CUSTOM

I have been reading Nathan Foster's "The Practical Guide to Long Range Shooting, The art of a clean kill" and doing dry fire exercises trying to improve my fundamentals from different shooting positions. In the book, Mr. Foster describes straight line prone shooting as a "hot shot idea" and he presents an angled approach with a bent knee for a more stable shooting position. This is different from what I have researched and seen other shooters at the range doing.

I am looking to establish solid fundamentals and not get into bad habits while I am young. What has been your guys'/gals' experiences or tips for shooting prone?

Thanks!
Go to a website called Holland Gunsmithing. He has a video about shooting prone. He is one of the finest instructors I know. I just came from Long Range Shooting class where we shot PRONE from 200 yards to 800 yards successfully. He is simply the best. Here is youtube video:

Thanks!
Ryan Kleckner, Todd Hodnett, and others of the professional shooting community advocate body straight behind the rifle for best recoil management. Only one's "little green army man" still uses the angled position today....set in his ways, he'll never change.... :) :) :)

It comes down to how you are shooting the rifle. Are you using a sling? Are you placing your non-firing hand on the forward part of the stock? If so, there is no good way to get into a straight line position (look at any of the long range belly gunners at highpower matches). If you are shooting off of a bipod, with your non-firing hand manipulating a rear bag, then you may be able to square up. However, even then it may be tough to do based on your body mechanics. The "this way is the only way" approach does not work.
I agree with you, old Dog. In the field you hv to adapt your position to conditions, then and there. Always use whatever rest you can, but sling or not, try to be as consistent as you can in shot release, and that means PRACTISE at your local range. Most of that time you can work with a decent .22 LR, but occasionally you must work out your hunting rifle. And maybe the hottest load is not the best one for you. Good luck. John Oscar.

My wife has taken a couple of game animals (Big Horn Sheep, and an elk), from prone. I have no idea her position, and both were one shot kills. I wasn't there for the elk. With the sheep, I couldn't watch. She was in a very narrow, shallow ravine, shooting uphill.....she would have made a contortionist envious. When seeing what she was attempting....I turned away, not wanting to see the wreck! :)

I would have to say, use whatever is the most stable/comfortable for the terrain you're working with! memtb

Just remember that what works best for one person's body shape may not work best for someone else. My instructors advocated different positions, but were open minded enough to work with each shooter to find the best, Most natural position. Then they allowed the shooting to decide which was best.

The creedmoor long range position, (Shooting resting the barrel on your foot and laying backwards to the target with Iron sites @ 2000 yards, is/was the worst/most uncomfortable position I ever shot
and the shooter just has to find the best position for him in order to have the chance of hitting anything at 2000 yards. (No optics or rest except the body.

I still think that there is no one position for everybody, so try different positions and let the shooting decide. There are many other things that effect the accuracy of the position that can also determine the best position for the shooter including the rifle type, shape and weight. I found that I needed to change my position from shooting an M1 or M14 to a bolt gun. so I find making adjustments for the rifle and the match shooting or hunting required being flexible makes a difference in my shooting.

Each to his own, What works for me may not work for someone else. But I don't recommend practicing something that Is not best for you. You can train to do something wrong and your body will adapt, but if you learn something wrong for you the lack of performance will follow you and be hard to correct.

We are all individuals and every now and then we have to adapt to ourselves. 👍

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.