Project Rifle, what Caliber??

I agree w/ Colby. Any time you can get a new gun, is cool. It seems to me what gun to add to the 7stw is the question. I'd say that if the new gun is not for varmints, the new gun should be a big 30cal or a big 338. The gun he has is no pea shooter.

All I am saying is he should get something quite a bit bigger or smaller to have something noticeably different than he currently has.

I vote for the big 30cal. Call Kirby and get the 300 AM.

Have fun, Steve

Many will say my 270 Allen Magnum would be redundant since you already have a 7mm STW but to be honest the performance gap between the two are so wide they are really in different performance classes.

I designed my 270 AM for exactly the purpose you are looking to use it for. 500-700 yard deer hunting with the most extreme performance you can get without getting into exotic receivers and ammunition requirements. There are no conventional factory rounds that will run with the 270 AM loaded properly, that being a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet loaded to 3300-3400 fps depending on barrel length. This bullet has a BC of .740 on average in my rifles. If you run those numbers it becomes clear how impressive this round really is.

Yes, you can get factory rifles such as the 7mm RUM and 300 RUM and 30-378 to come close to this performance with the right bullet selection but with each example you have to use MUCH heavier bullets to get this class if BC if its even possible. In the 7mm family of bullets you will need to use the Wildcat Bullets or some of the other custom bullets to get this level of ballistic performance and most are over 180 grains in bullet weight. In 30 cal you will need +240 grains of bullet weight to get this level of ballistic performance and then velocity is limited in both calibers as well. If you have similar BC values but less velocity you still have less ballistic performance.

Another bonus of the 270 AM is that with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT, its about as much performance as you can comfortably handle for most people in what I would call a packing weight rifle, espeically if you are opposed to muzzle brakes. If you do not mine brakes, there are no issues and you can build very light weight rifles.

Now, I am not saying the 270 AM is the best choice for your needs, only saying its the highest performance round you will likely find that is practical for your purpose. Kind of the top level of the performance classes in deer rifles.

TO be honest, for deer out to 500 to 700 yards, anything from a 6.5-284 class round on up will work give you put the proper bullet in the proper place in the critter. Things to be considered are that the lower the level of performance the more critical range estimate needs to be as well as wind doping. Simply put, less margin of error.

There is never a large margin of error even with rounds like my 270 AM at 700 yards, you need a good set up and you need to know the conditions to make a quality hit on big game.

Main issue I see is your buget limitations. For a custom rifle, this will not quite make it. For converting a factory rifle you already own you should have the money but unforunately the Wby MkV is not he best platform to start from.

I know that comment will raise some eye brows of wby owners and it is not ment to start a fight. Simply stating ask any top end accuracy minded gunsmith what their two favorite receivers are and I would guess you would only hear Wby mentioned a couple times out of every 100 smiths. There is a reason for this.

They are hard to get conversion parts for, they are limited in the amount of accurizing you can perform on them and on average, there are around 10 to 15% of all Wby rifles out there that simply will not hold under 1 moa no matter what you do with them as far as machining and rebarreling. That is simply a well known fact unoung accuracy minded smiths.

We will take a Rem 700 every time over a Wby if given the choice to work on for an accuracy rifle.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kirby Allen(50)

All the calibers mentioned will do the job, that's not the problem. The problem is that you need a rifle that will group 3" at 600 yrds. For that you need the services of an accuracy gunsmith (action and bedding job, custom barrel, etc.).

If you want a different cartridge, and one that is an optimum balance of power and recoil, consider the 270 STW. The .270 150gr Nosler Partition at 33-3400fps would be just about perfect for the application you describe.

As an addendum to the above post: If, as I said, the 270 STW would be just about ideal for the application you describe, when all things are considered the 270 AM would be even better.

200 for dies
500 for scope
leaves about 900
The new savage F class 6.5 x 284 should be avail for about $950 next month. Id get one ordered
If not then Id go with a lawton 7500 1.45" action and a krieger barrel, those 2 alone will set you back your 1600 really close. than you will still need a trigger and stock.
Id go with 6.5, 7mm or 30 cal with an WSM, 284, 338 lapua, or rum case all depending on what you want.

couple things.

1. when you say beanfield rifle, assume you are in the SE.

2. If you current 7mm STW shoots 1" now or better, I would start with it. $225 to RW Hart in PA for Bobby Hart to do his accuracy package. After his work, you should expect a 25% or more reduction in groups. 800-368-3656 or www.rwhart.com. I would also work loads for the 150s if possible instead of the 140s.

2. Stay with the Zeiss, call them 800-441-3005 x 8461 to have turrets and BDC knobs put on AFTER you work the load. Check and see what they charge for the new reticles or the 43 mildot.

Darrel Holland will have his ART reticle put in a Leupold for $375 in 3 weeks. It is a series of dots at 3 MOA intervals out to 24 MOA. You can use a dot to aim without touching a knob. (541)439-5155 or www.hollandguns.com

As for a new gun, think I would really look at the Savage F class in 6.5-284 for the money. You can add another barrel chambered later for $300 and put it on yourself.

Your current scopes will work for what you have with either mod discussed above.

BH

Your current rifle is nearly ideal for what you want to do. My first choice for what you want to do would be either the 7mm STW or 7mm Rem Mag. If you don't currently reload spend the money on reloading equipment and start reloading. Work up an accurate load for the Weatherby and practice shooting at the intended ranges. That will do more for your long range success than any amount of money you throw at a new custom rifle. The most important part of the equation for long range hunting is practice. If you will be shooting off a bipod, practice shooting with it. If you will be using a rest while hunting, practice shooting with it. Don't just practice on fair days either you will need to learn how the bullets are effected by adverse conditions (unless you will only hunt in perfect conditions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).
James

remingtonman, O.K. I hear ya. I just happen to like my .300 RUM for everything. Economics forces me to own one big .30 I use it for elk, deer, antelope and bears. All with a 200 gr Accubond. I just figured a big .30 cal with its vast array of bullet weights, would be perfect, especially if larger game may be hunted later. mtmuley

Man, so much good info in these replies. Thank you all. I've got about 4 different directions to go here, now I'm kinda thinking maybe I'll get the accumark accurized and skim bedded, maybe change out my humongous reticle in the zeiss, send off my rem. 700 .270 for a conversion to .270 AM, and save for a better range finder. This should be great. Thanks for the links as well. This is a fantastic web site.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.