Production Raptor LRSS photos

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Things have been pretty crazy this year trying to get caught up(still trying) and working on the Raptor project to get it finalized. That happened earlier this summer and I have since started taking orders for the Raptor LRSS and Raptor Stalker rifles as well as loose receiver orders.

I have yet however gotten you guys any pics of the production Raptor, only the prototype pictures. So, here are some pics to look over.

P9180442.jpg

Left side of receiver
P9180444.jpg

On the prototype Raptor LRSS rifles I tested a double recoil lug design which has a second recoil lug positioned near the end of the forend of the stock. That system had some good and bad points but in the end I had to go back to a more conventional barrel design. The Raptor LRSS still has the double flute pattern on shank and tapered section of barrel, but as you can see in the pic below the lock nut and second recoil lug have been replaced with a conventional radiused contour section near the forend tip. Also you get a good look at the very aggressive bolt fluting that gives the Raptor a unique look. The large but not EXTREME bolt handle has proven capable of easily handling any tight cases so far and I have already pushed things a bit hard to test this rifle and the new Jamison 338 Allen Xpress correct headstamped brass. Thats another topic though.
P9180440.jpg

Here is a complete right side view of the Raptor LRSS.
P9180439.jpg

Complete left side view.
P9180443.jpg

I just got this rifle assembled last weekend so I have not started much load development for it yet but I have done some limited velocity testing with a couple bullets. The 225 gr Accubond will easily break 3400 fps out of the 338 Allen Xpress chambering and 30" 1-10 Lilja barrel. The new 265 gr Tipped TSX from Barnes proved it can be driven out at a velocity of 3045 fps which I am pretty happy with considering this bullet is longer then the 300 gr SMK!!!

I have not tested the SMK yet but in my prototype rifle is was easy to push 3000 fps with my standard length throat to be used in the HS Precision DM system with ammo OAL of only 3.680".

Componant list on this production sample Raptor LRSS 338 AX is:

Allen Precision Raptor receiver
Raptor 20 moa (long) rail base, 6 screw, 3 pin to receiver
Holland Comp recoil lug
Jewell trigger w/ top safety
Raptor LRSS barrel contour made by Lilja for Allen Precision, 1-10 twist
Raptor LRSS barrel fluting pattern
Allen Precision Painkiller medium muzzle brake
Bead Blast matte finish on all metal surfaces
McMillan A-5 tactical stock
Decelerator recoil pad
Adjustable LOP(shim system)
Thumbwheel adjustable CP
Pillar bedded
Harris 9-13" Swivel base with leg notches and pod lock installed
Two sets of NF Ultalight 30mm tactical rings
NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm with NP-R1 reticle
Low Pro scope level.

This will be my personal rifle and hopefully I can get it set up for the upcoming pronghorn season here in Montana and then big game hunting and a trip down south to chase some more monster whitetails!!!

Just wanted to give you guys a look at what the final Raptor design looks like. Only possible change will be in a rail base that is even longer then the one on this rifle but we have not getting the materials in yet for that. Even as it is right now, The Raptor rail base is one of the longer rails on the market for a conventional bolt action receiver. More is always better though, RIGHT!!!!

Let me know what you think.

Beautiful Kirby, You will be very pleased to have brought this project through to completion, although I imagine there are still things to improve. Pity you don't live in NZ!

Stu.

Sheer excellence sir, well done!

I love the font style you have chosen for both sides of the barrel, very nice.

The barrel contour is very 'unique' and I like it with that style of fluting is good.

I assume the use of two sets of scope rings is due to recoil forces?

Love your work.:cool:

CentreHit,

One set of rings are set up to control recoil energy, the other two are to support the scope for the stress of extreme deceleration caused by the muzzle brake.

Its not absolutely needed on the Raptor class rifles, I do this on my Xtreme Heavy Sporters in 338 and 375 Allen Magnums and in those cases it IS a requirement to keep the scope in its fixed location. As mentioned, its overkill on the Raptor but all of you know I am a BIG fan of OVERKILL!!!! :D

Sweet!!! Hell man, what's not to like....

Oh great, now I'm gonna get that production rifle build from you and all I'm going to be thinking about is that Raptor. Yah, thanks alot. lol

Really nice. If you weren't already building me a 338AX, I would be all over one of these.I like the fact that you are thinking outside the box. Cant wait to see the stalker version. A 7mm AM is so tempting right now . What do you expect the Stalker to weigh? What stock/changes did you make to the stalker to save weight?

Dan

Djbwow2008,

The Stalker is really a totally different rifle other then the receiver compared to the LRSS in an attempt to drop rifle weight considerably. The LRSS will come in at 15-17 lbs depending on optical package, the Stalker could come in as light as 10 lbs ready to hunt with, again, depending on optics.

The stock choices will be one of three, McMillan Rem Hunter, Manner MCS-T or Manner MCS-GAT (thumbhole).

The barrel contour is also MUCH lighter then the LRSS model. Its similiar in design, just dramatically scaled down. Instead of an 8" long full diameter shank, its only 5" long and instead of 1.350" diameter for the LRSS, I dropped it down to 1.250" diameter for the Stalker.

Because of the smaller shank diameter, its not possible to flute the shank with the deep flutes and the light flutes just did not look right so I dropped the shank fluting off the Stalker barrel design. Ahead of the full diameter shank, the Stalker barrel is basically a Lilja #5 contour that will finish out in the 0.650" range compared to the LRSS muzzle that is around .880" in diameter depending on finish length.

I am also working on another receiver design on the Raptor to see if it would be a viable option. This receiver would be designed for the Stalker rifle mainly and the only real difference would be it would have an open top ejection port design similiar to that on the Rem 700. The much more open top would allow the use of internal, top loading mag boxes which would drop even more weight off the rifle. Also, this receiver would use a much lighter weight two piece base system which again, would drop weight. The main problem with two piece bases is keeping them in one spot. As such, I would have them pinned to the receiver just as the FL base is triple pinned.

This receiver could drop nearly another pound off the finished rifle weight.

Very nice, Kirby. I speshly like the "Kenzie Flutes" on the bolt if I can call them that. My eyes are drawn to them in fact.

Festus

Marrandy,

They were released in May. That means I started taking orders for them at that point as I had finialized the receiver and rifle design.

This post was simply to show what the production rifles look like as I had not posted any pictured of the full production rifles yet, only of my prototype rifles to that point.

The stalker was released at the same time. Price depends greatly on options you want on the rifle and I do not list specific prices on the public forum. Shoot me a PM and I can get you some numbers. Again, I have been taking orders for them for several months and there are many on the books, just have to get the stocks in and we will have some pictures of some Raptor Stalkers. I have three of them on the bench right now trying to work them in with older projects to keep everyone happy.

It sounds like you may think these are ready to ship rifles, they are not, they are made to order. Once I get caught up with all the other projects in the shop I hope to start building a small inventory of Raptor LRSS and Raptor Stalker rifles that can be shipped instantly but these will have a limited number of options compared to what you will get with a custom ordered Raptor. By that I mean they will have a set list of options, they will be fully loaded with features but ones I choose such as stock color and metal finish.

Hope that clears things up for ya. If your interested in a Raptor Stalker, lets get you on the books!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.