Process for choosing a gun

IdahoJoe

I was wondering about everyone's process fro picking out a gun.

This is how I did it last time

1. Pick the bullet you would like to hunt with

2. Choose a velocity

3. Pick a cartridge and barrel length to achieve the desired velocity

4. Choose a barrel.

5. Choose a action

6. Choose stock, trigger etc.

7. Choose as scope (should be step 1. or 2.)

I actually ended up stopping at 3 and buying instead of building do to budget restraints.

I am new to the long range world and just recently purchased my first rifle with the mind set of shooting LR. I didn't have a big budget so I shopped around. To start off I knew what the purpose was for the rifle. I also knew what caliber i wanted. I wanted something that could "do it all". I chose the .308. It is a great round if u want to start getting into reloading... Which i am planning to start doing shortly. I just want more shooting experience. I really don't thing there is a proper formats for purchasing a rifle. The only things I can think of is number one purpose, and two budget. Get the nest you cam afford. I ended up buying a Remington 700 adl. It had everything I needed to get started. I will admit the stocks are horrible but I can't complain for the price. 400 at dicks sporting goods. I have been able to shoot a 5 round group at 300 yes of 2". I know I just rambled a bit there I hope it helps. Purpose and budget is what I think it comes down too.

C.A.P.

I was wondering about everyone's process fro picking out a gun.

This is how I did it last time

1. Pick the bullet you would like to hunt with

2. Choose a velocity

3. Pick a cartridge and barrel length to achieve the desired velocity

4. Choose a barrel.

5. Choose a action

6. Choose stock, trigger etc.

7. Choose as scope (should be step 1. or 2.)

I actually ended up stopping at 3 and buying instead of building do to budget restraints.

Establishing a reasonable and achievable budget (within my means) on any purchase is always my first step ... the rest of the steps will fall into place accordingly then after. lightbulb

Your right about choosing budget first. That is why I think it is important to choose the scope first and put a rifle under it. That will be my plan next time some thing built around a 300 gr .338 Berger.

I love it. It is the first real nice gun I own. The bullet was 140 seirra match kings with CCI large rifle primers and 52 grains of H4831sc in Nosler custom brass. I shot a 3 shot group at 187 yards that measured .82 inches with it. I haven't tried to repeat those results yet so it might have been a fluke. I just got some Bergers in the mail yesterday and plan to work up a load with them. And the gun wears a weaver tactical 4-20 power scope.

Last edited:
Idaho- i checked the cooper web site. very nice looking rifle. i shoot mostly 123 scenars in matches and 120 balistic tips for hunting . i have used mrp-2, H-4831sc and h-4350. lot of load info at the 6mmbr site. enjoy. ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.