Procedure for setting spotting scope 1/4 out of focus ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by NorthernSniper, Apr 17, 2006.

1. NorthernSniper

NorthernSniper Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience and know the procedure for setting up your spotting scope 1/4 out of focus so you can see the vapour trail comming off bullets? Thanks for any help!

2. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

Here's what you do.

Set the scope's focus to about half to two-thirds the distance to the target. Find something that far away then get a sharp image of it. If there's a lot of heat waves (mirage) seen through your scope, it'll be a bit difficult.

That's not a vapor trail you see from the bullet going down range. It's displaced air that refracts (bends) the light waves differently than undisturbed or still air. In competitive highpower shooting it's called a "trace."

Sometimes when the sunlight's just right, you can actually see the copper-colored bullets going down range from light reflecting off them.

3. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

Under ideal light conditions, you can see the bullet at 200 yds. It is much easier to see at longer distances.
    Shooting Metallic Silhouette, Rams at 500 meters (547 yds) I have seen the bullet rise up theough the spotting scope from 6:00 to 12:00 o'clock and then drop back into view from 12:00 o'clock and hit the target. Very cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JD338

4. NorthernSniper

NorthernSniper Well-Known Member

Hey thanks guy's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This sounds like it might be fun to check out, I'm thinking about trying this on 400-500 yd shots on wolves, elk and deer ect.

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    Under ideal light conditions, you can see the bullet at 200 yds. It

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially it if is an old slow arthritic 22 rimfire boolit that is using a walker to help it along

6. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

When I shoot my 40S&W (950fps) downhill into the water off a bridge, with the sun directly behind me, I can see the back of the bullets reflecting in the sun all the way to the water. Better than real tracers.