Problems with the 300 SMK ?

Digger49r

OK gents, I've read a pile of posts referring to the 300 smk bullet and nobody has mentioned any problems with them.I know a few shooters I hold in high regard that tell me they no longer use them as they are oversized and cause no end of fouling. Has anyone else found this problem? I'm building a 338 Tomahawk this winter and would love to give that bullet a try. I'd like to hear some opinions before I go and order a bunch though.

I have not noticed a problem with fouling. I have shot them exclusively in my 338 Yogi in competition and hunting. I have shot 1500 of the 300g bullets and am in the need of a new barrel for the rifle. I am considering a 338-408 CT imp 40" 10T hoping to get 3400 or more velocity out of these bullets. You can get the 300g SMK in box of 50 to try.
Crow Mag

I haven't had any propblems with them and have been using them since they came available.

The only problem I have sen is, they knock an elk right down and has blown huge holes in deer at ranges out to 1050 yards. At 1500 yards they settle down and react on game in a fairly normal way. They still penitrate extremely well past 1500 yards to.

An excellent bullet to use for longrange hunting.

later
DC
smile.gif

Crow Mag

I just ordered my reamer for the 338-408 imp...it has a 35deg shoulder with a .012 body taper with a neck length of .355 With a bbl of 36" it should produce speeds over 3450 easy.(i will be putting a 11" twist on it to slow the spin of the bullet down from the added speed.) I'm calling it .338 snipe-tac
wink.gif

I have been using the 300MKs in my 338-378imp and have had no problems at all and i buy them in bulk. AT 500yds they will shoot under 1 inch. The gun is a light sporter for elk, Excellent hunting bullet also.

black diamond where do you get your 408 chey
brass as i am very interested in this caliber
338/408sct

do you know of anybody that has a rifle in this caliber and what kind of results are they getting with it. accuracy-velocity,etc

also on the brass how good is it can you compare it to lapua or norma brass.

thanks in advance

Stephen

The brass is probally the best around for toughness, i have loaded the 408's well over 70,000psi and little case head expansion. There are several guys allready necking the cases down but i have had no reports as of yet. There are two brass makers right now for the 408, a German co. and Jamison. The German brass has a little more room inside. I have reloaded the cases over 10 times and have not lost a case yet.
I have run the specs through my Neco program and projected velocities are around 3500fps depending on bbl length.--300mk's
shocked.gif

You guys might be interested in a bullet made by wildcat bullets in Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
it is a 300gr ultra low drag with a rebated boattail made with a .040 jacket. A bonded version is also available. Have shot the .224 hollow point and found them to be super accurate as well as the .308 ULD version.
Contact # (780)-352-8592 Richard Graves
He also has ULD bullets in .25 cal .270,7mm

[ 12-13-2003: Message edited by: redneck8703 ]

Redneck,

Sounds interesting, I was hoping to find a LR rebated boattail bullet to try, 300gr 338 sounds perfect. Does he advertise the BC's for them? What weight are the 30 caliber bullets too?

Digger,

My brother's probably cleaned his 338/378 WBY less than ten times in 500 rounds, not to say they don't foul much, he just don't clean much. Accuracy has always been great with the 300gr SMK, and sometimes it's been pretty dirty I'm sure of it. All that H870 fouling probably keeps it from coating with copper though.
grin.gif
The bullets were all about .3388" in diameter, so they can be larger than indicated. You might have problems with a .3385" throat as my brother did. I'd spec the reamers throat at .3388" to be on the safe side.

[ 12-14-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Black Diamond, Thanks for the heads up
on the brass what brand of those two do you use and do they have a website/phone number
to get a hold of them i really would love to get my hands on a few of these cases.

thanks again
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.