Problems with new gun

I feel like we have eliminated everything but chamber and barrel used a different scope bore sight several different times took muzzle brake off different bullets my gun is same as my brother's problem gun and mine shoots everything his won't from target I posted it looks like bullet is coming apart 5th shot fragments below bullet hole on target
Go back too post # 37 #67 and#73 - change bullets the 147 gr eldm s are too thin of a jacket too hold up too your twist rate . You cannot over spin a mono , try some monos too eliminate that particular bullet . Personally I would give the 124 gr hammer a try , or a thicker jacketed cup and core . ( Good Luck) The only thing l can think , regarding your first 15 shots is the bore was clean and slick from no fouling after fouling the fast twist started taking its toll on those thin jacket 147 gr bullets and now they are coming apart because of the fast twist and 6 groove button rifling . I may be wrong , give it a try keep us informed.

Ok gentlemen we went out and shot problem gun adj brass, cci 250 m primers, 60gr 570, 156 Bergers shot # 5 I seen two ground after bullet went through target 3 feet right of target and about one foot left of target.
I didn't think it would make any difference, as noted in #76. At this point, you have nothing else to lose by following @bigngreen extensive barrel cleaning recommendation before addressing the issue directly to whoever did the nitriding process. Good luck!

Barrel originally shot well. Then barrel was removed, rechambered, nitride coated, and replaced. Now barrel does not shoot well (to say the least). I believe it's logical to say the problem is with the aforementioned barrel work.
Where did the OP say the barrel shot well before he acquired it , and if it did what bullet did the other owner shoot in it . I'm curious where you got your info , did I miss something on this post.

Where did the OP say the barrel shot well before he acquired it , and if it did what bullet did the other owner shoot in it . I'm curious where you got your info , did I miss something on this post.
Post #34 says the rifle was shot with the original chamber. Then it was rechambered and nitride coated. And it is his brother's gun.

Post #34 says the rifle was shot with the original chamber. Then it was rechambered and nitride coated. And it is his brother's gun.
Post 34 says the original chamber had one box of ammo shot through it , not much more info than that . Bottom line it's either the nitriding or the thin jacketed bullet he is shooting with too fast of a twist for that particular bullet . Shoot a mono through it and see if any thing changes and that will tell the story.

My brother has a new gun it's a tikka action brux barrel in 6.5 max barrel has been nitrided inside and out first 15 shells through no problem went to the range the other day and one bullet through target looked like the bullet was tumbling perfect silhouette of bullet next bullet looked like it had mushroomed through target went home checked everything crown was a little rusty no gouges or grooves in crown but gunsmith recrowned it 3rd time we went out could not even hit target one bullet would hit 8 feet low and 3 feet right next roun would be 6 feet high and 3 feet to the left please help no idea what is going on. Bullet 140 eldm powder vitahouri n165 55 grains cci 250 mag primers.
Post #1 says he shot 15 rds out of it and it was fine. He said the gunsmith re-crowned it again? I have never had to re-crown a barrel I did, It was right from the get go? Something isn't right with the whole job.

Post #1 says he shot 15 rds out of it and it was fine. He said the gunsmith re-crowned it again? I have never had to re-crown a barrel I did, It was right from the get go? Something isn't right with the whole job.
We'll this definitely has my curiosity , The only thing I've ever heard of or seen when a bullet fragmentates in mid flight is the bullet is over spin and separates from the jacket or the throat where the bullet starts upsets the jacket in one form or another. It might be the Nitriding who knows at this point . I sure hope the OP keeps us informed.

Re-crowned nitrided barrel ... I would love to see a blown up picture how the barrel edges to the muzzle looks like.

For another entry in barrel work education, I would love to know how the smith cut the nitrided crown.

Lots of conjecture without analysis. Determine actual twisr rate, measure bullet length, determine Sg estimate, check out crown with 10 magnifier, use scope & mounts/rings having proven worth, load bullets within established velocity range, check out ammo dimensions. I have seen barrels that looked like gravel chutes that could group within 4 MOA not 150 MOA.

Barrel was purchased from bugholes one thing I forgot barrel was originally a 6.5 prc rechambered to 6.5 max and nitrided.
Still thinking that, you "may have", a MIS-aligned Chamber to, Bore Axis from, the above Noted,.. Re-Chambering Job.
The bullet "Switch" that you made ( to Berger's ) , SHOULD have, "done it" for, you !
Assuming that, the Barrel was, cleaned thoroughly, FIRST !
Sadly, you "may" now have, an Expensive,.. Tomato Stake
Ask your Gunsmith IF, he can do a barrel "Set back" and RE-chamber, again,.. "Straighter" to, the Bore ?

Last edited:
Barrel originally shot well. Then barrel was removed, rechambered, nitride coated, and replaced. Now barrel does not shoot well (to say the least). I believe it's logical to say the problem is with the aforementioned barrel work.
Agree to THIS ^^^