Problems with new gun

My brother has a new gun it's a tikka action brux barrel in 6.5 max barrel has been nitrided inside and out first 15 shells through no problem went to the range the other day and one bullet through target looked like the bullet was tumbling perfect silhouette of bullet next bullet looked like it had mushroomed through target went home checked everything crown was a little rusty no gouges or grooves in crown but gunsmith recrowned it 3rd time we went out could not even hit target one bullet would hit 8 feet low and 3 feet right next roun would be 6 feet high and 3 feet to the left please help no idea what is going on. Bullet 140 eldm powder vitahouri n165 55 grains cci 250 mag primers.
I think it's definitely a bore issue, loss of rifling somehow, first 15 were OK, now keyholing or 243 bullets???

Chamber misalignment - some time ago, a local gunsmith was rechambering barrels using a drill press.

Using a lathe & a rotating pilot reamer it's difficult to get misalignment but an over size chamber is a possibility but measuring fired brass will determine this.

Nitriding - hi tech stuff, different methods, gas & plasma. Duting the nitriding process (nirogen infused into steel surface with ammonia with high temps) if temps were below steel transformation process (crystal changes) the dimensions will be unchanged. How hot & how much of dimension change? What about stainless steel?

Bottom line - how much do bullets cost & when to quit.

This is a conversation article I read awhile back with Criterion barrels and I believe it to be a 100% true with what I've seen with SS barrels.
I've got a CM 20 cal barrel on order and later on when I get it chambered and throat fire lapped I'm gonna nitride it and see what happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220808-114218_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220808-114218_Google.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 59
I feel like we have eliminated everything but chamber and barrel used a different scope bore sight several different times took muzzle brake off different bullets my gun is same as my brother's problem gun and mine shoots everything his won't from target I posted it looks like bullet is coming apart 5th shot fragments below bullet hole on target
I looked through the thread and didn't see you saying you tried a different bullet from the ELDM. The 140 and 147 ELDM have a history of blowing up in some barrels. The barrel you are seeing this out of might be engraving the bullets enough and spinning them to a high enough RPM to cause bullet jacket failure. Many people trying them in the 6.5 PRC were experiencing bullet blow up in some 7 and 7.5 twist barrels. If you are driving the ELDMs faster than a PRC can then even and 8 twist might spin up enough RPMs to cause the issue you are seeing. Maybe load up some mono bullets and see what happens. They don't blow up.

I looked through the thread and didn't see you saying you tried a different bullet from the ELDM. The 140 and 147 ELDM have a history of blowing up in some barrels. The barrel you are seeing this out of might be engraving the bullets enough and spinning them to a high enough RPM to cause bullet jacket failure. Many people trying them in the 6.5 PRC were experiencing bullet blow up in some 7 and 7.5 twist barrels. If you are driving the ELDMs faster than a PRC can then even and 8 twist might spin up enough RPMs to cause the issue you are seeing. Maybe load up some mono bullets and see what happens. They don't blow up.
I thought they impacted on the target, but all over it.

He did say they tried 156 Bergers.

So we've narrowed this down to either a chamber issue or a bore issue with nitride. Have you contacted the smith again? Maybe a different smith to find the issue? Obviously not a simple fix

I will bet money if its a SS barrel nitriding it screwed it up ive seen plenty nitride has screwed up in SS. CM is a different story.
I will bet money if its a SS barrel nitriding it screwed it up ive seen plenty nitride has screwed up in SS. CM is a different story.
Agree to THIS ^^^
Agree to THIS ^^^
Still thinking that, you "may have", a MIS-aligned Chamber to, Bore Axis from, the above Noted,.. Re-Chambering Job. The bullet "Switch" that you made ( to Berger's ) , SHOULD have, "done it" for, you ! Assuming that, the Barrel WAS, cleaned thoroughly, FIRST ! Sadly, you "may" now have, an Expensive,.. Tomato Stake Ask your Gunsmith IF, he can do a barrel "Set back" and RE-chamber, again,.. "Straighter" to, the Bore ?
Re-crowned nitrided barrel ... I would love to see a blown up picture how the barrel edges to the muzzle looks like. For another entry in barrel work education, I would love to know how the smith cut the nitrided crown.
. I'm

Had to jump back in....can't say with 100% conviction, but some barrel mfg's state emphatically to NOT use JB on a bronze brush!!!! They have bore scope pictures of the lands and grooves being "grooved" and basically ruined. I use jb paste(blue color print on jar ) on a jag with patch, or the VFG pellets I have with holder. PLEASE read and maybe even call Brux barrels to see their opinion of using a bronze brush and jb's.... Once done, it can't be undone....rsbhunter
Agree. Bartlein would void you warranty.