Problems with Neck Sizing

tweek1142

I'm having issues with neck sizing on a 300WSM. I'm using once fired win brass. When i neck size and place the brass in my rifle (without a bullet or powder) my bolt closes hard.

Any ideas?

I load for a 300 WSM. I use redding bushing dies with Norma brass and neck size only. Haven't had too many issues.

It could be a shoulder issue. Soft brass might expand so much on the first firing that it is now hard to close the bolt on. Are the once fired cases hard to chamber before being neck sized?

Might be the firing and then resizing of the necks is stretching the neck and the neck is too long for the chamber. Should probably check the max cartridge length an make sure that it is not over after sizing the necks. Which brings up the question: Are you trimming the necks after the resize?

yes I am trimming after neck sizing. Ill Try adjusting the full length die and bump the shoulder.

I'm having issues with neck sizing on a 300WSM. I'm using once fired win brass. When i neck size and place the brass in my rifle (without a bullet or powder) my bolt closes hard.

Any ideas?

Yes, the answer is FL size. 65,000 PSI is not conducive to NS only IF you want the brass to chamber.

NS only is not the cure all pancea some like to promote especially if you like reliability of the gun. The hard chambering issue will hit you at the worst time and that is why the FL size.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.