Problems with Huskemaw

BMcKell

A friend sent his rifle and load to BOTW and had a turret made for his Huskemaw. He was telling me about missing animals with it and asked if I would take it to the range and shoot it to see what was going on.

First shot I dialed it to 200 yards and shot steel and it was low. I then dialed it to 300 yards and shot a 3 shot group at a paper target 100 yards away, knowing that it would have to shoot 3 inches high at 100 to be dead on at 300. It was only 2 inches high so I know that was off.

Next I dialed up to 500 yards and shot steel. It was about 8 inches high. I shot another one to confirm it and it hit 1/2 inch to the side of the first. I then dialed it to 600 and shot at steel and it shot right over the target. I put the gun away knowing there isn't much I can do with that.

The rifle shot low at closer ranges and high at farther ranges. I could have ran the ballistics through my Nightforce program and determined the problem but I didn't take the time. The rifle is a Christensen Arms 300 Ultra, shooting 200 Grain Barnes bullets.

This is the first Huskemaw I have used. I personally use NF and Leupold Mark 4. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Their company looks successful so wouldn't think these problems are normal.

BMcKell,

Read your post with interest.

It started with: Friend sent his rifle and load to.....

I understand this to mean that the rifle and a sufficient number of loads necessary to develop a decent drop chart were sent.

The expectation was that an elevation turret would be returned that will accurately describe the actual drop chart.

My first conclusion is that the problem is NOT Huskemaw, the Scope but possibly flaws or anomalies somewhere along the line in the process beginning with shooting the loads through etching the turret.

You may be of further service to your friend by using your time and talent to confirm the drop chart then send the drop chart for a no charge update to the turret.

Also, I seem to gather, no facts or knowledge, from watching videos and surfing web pages that BOTW and Huskemaw aren't related? The Huskemaw scopes I see advertised don't seem to look like the BOTW scopes. I stand corrected if need be.

Sorry I was unclear. They took the rifle and ammo and shot it and developed the turret and returned the completed system to him.

I have been shooting long range for over 10 years and shot two sub 2" groups at 1000 yards with my rifle the same day. I'm pretty sure it wasn't me and likely wasn't the scope. Pretty sure the turret is misprinted.

I think he is sending the rifle and ammo back to them.

sounds like may-be there was an input error on the program when they entered your information. Might have missed a number on the bc or somthing, printed the turret and neglected to test the new printed turret, thus not catching their mistake. I'm sure they will resolve the problem.

i had a similar situation with kenton industries turret. i just sent them the info on the cartridge/bullet/fps/altitude etc etc...(they have a form to fill out)....the turret came back and was nowhere near close. i then sent them the actual drops that i had shot out to 1K yds. they sent another at no charge to me. works great now. AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.