Problems with DPMS 204 ruger?

budlight

You would think that it would be a one hole paper puncher with a 24 inch bull barrel ar-15. Factory Hornady 40 gr. ballistic tip. you would be lucky to get a 2 inch group at 25 yards. I was also shooting my brand new SS fluted barrel AR-15 in 223 1:8 and it was making one expanding hole groups.

I though that it might be the scope so I swapped them and the same results. I have never seen a rifle shoot this bad, any ideas?

Second question. I thought that 204 and 223 BCG would be identical? But my nickle boron bolt from my 223 could NOT close the bolt when attempting to load a round installed in the 204.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/LR-204_ep_141-1.html

I just built a 204 Ruger AR for my son in law and it feeds great with a standard magazine. 32 and 40 grain VMax bullets in both Hornady and Fiochi factory ammo. It shoots pretty good...the one time out with it were in high winds but it did well considering

You should ask DPMS if they machined the receiver face square (in the front where the barrel inserts). Also recommend to locktite the barrel extension into the receiver to take up any slop that invariably exists..you will need propane torch to remove barrel later.

Gas block hitting the free float handguard ?

I will check in the morning. It is just like in the picture though. free floating round fore stock, handguard. It bothers me that the bolt is not interchangeable. So I will check the block. If it is clear. I'm going for an RMA to just send it back in the original box

The reason your bolts do not interchange is because the headspace for a particular cartridge is set at time of barrel manufacturing using the bolt that will be used with that rifle. That is the case with all AR 15 barrels.

Budlight,

About 7 or 8 years ago I purchased a 204 bolt action rifle for myself. At the time, finding reloading pieces and parts was tough so I bought factory Hornady 32 and 40 grain loaded ammunition.

I was broken hearted that my new rifle would not shoot any better than yours is now.

I started reloading my own and the rifle suddenly became very accurate. It was so accurate my son started calling it the "paintbrush" due to what it did on grounders at 300+ yards.

Just a story. Maybe you will see good improvement when you load for it yourself.

Budlight,

About 7 or 8 years ago I purchased a 204 bolt action rifle for myself. At the time, finding reloading pieces and parts was tough so I bought factory Hornady 32 and 40 grain loaded ammunition.

I was broken hearted that my new rifle would not shoot any better than yours is now.

I started reloading my own and the rifle suddenly became very accurate. It was so accurate my son started calling it the "paintbrush" due to what it did on grounders at 300+ yards.

Just a story. Maybe you will see good improvement when you load for it yourself.

I have not sent it back yet, but I can order all the reloading dies for my dillion 550. what did you load and change?

The first thing I changed was I got rid of the Hornady brass and went with Winchester.

The Hornady brass felt thin and flimsy and the primer pockets didn't hold up well.

I used Hornady 32grn slugs and moly'd them.

I used BLC-2 and small rifle magnum primers.

I used the normal ladder procedure to work a load up and somewhere beyond book max everything somehow started flying through the same hole at 200 yds.

I tried Nosler BTs but could not get them to fly right.

When you get your rifle shooting well, remember to always wear safety glasses when you shoot small fury animals. You do not want hair and the pink mist getting into your eyes.

Good luck. I really hope you don't have to send your rifle back.

I have a GII hunter that got more and more accurate while I did the recommended barrel break in. I hope yours does too.

I had a custom upper 204 AR15 built by Specialized Dynamics. With cheap factory ammo it was so so. I could get 1-2" groups. I agree with mtwarych 100%. Once I started reloading for it, man did it shoot well. In fact, it's my most accurate rifle of all my rifles. I can consistently shoot sub .5" groups. My best to date was .29" at 100 yards. My go to load is as follows:

Hornady 204 Brass
CCI BR-4 Primers
32 gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tips
COAL of 2.260"
24 grs of Reloader 10x

Another thing that makes HUGE difference on AR's in my personal opinion is the TRIGGER. I'm so used to bolt guns, that shooting a two stage trigger was just horrible for me. I shot my friends AR's with Geissle and Timney two stage triggers, and I just couldn't shoot them. I ended up trying a Velocity 3lb single stage trigger, and I fell in love. It's cheaper than most of the high end triggers, but the quality of it, and the performance of it was amazing. It feels almost exactly like a quality bolt gun trigger. Hope this helps. Here is a pic of my 204.

also watch your twist rates for that 40gr vmax. It really needs a 1:11 twist barrel.
the 39gr sierra BK will shoot in a 1:12 along with the lighter bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.