Problems with ADL 300 WIN MAG

jessegibson1978

Having problems no matter what load I try case is sticking even with lite loads. Takes a hard rap with palm of hand to start extraction. Could this be from primary extraction or something else. No pressure signs at all easy bolt lift one finger. Once it starts the bolt will fall open. This one is driving me nuts.

Do you have primers that are protruding around where the firing pin strikes? Is this with used brass only? Usually the primary extraction is OK if it hasn't been messed with. My guess is your sizing die isn't sizing enough just ahead of the belt so it's sticking a bit. I have seen where the bolt will have a sloppy firing pin hole and the primers will crater a bit causing stocky extraction sometimes too.

Factory barrel and yes there is primer protrusion around the firing pin the hole is overly large never thought about that causing it. Have sized with redding neck die and fl also tried Lee fl closes on all cases like butter no resistance at all. Once the bolt is lifted I can smack the bolt knob with palm and it will slide half the length of the race way. The reason for asking about primary it doesn't appear to even come close to contacting the cam surface.

Only work done so far is the trigger bolt knob and brake. Unfortunately in a divorce so funds are short or I would pull the barrel put between forks of a stout tree and make a hula hoop out of it. LOL.

Factory barrel and yes there is primer protrusion around the firing pin the hole is overly large never thought about that causing it. Have sized with redding neck die and fl also tried Lee fl closes on all cases like butter no resistance at all. Once the bolt is lifted I can smack the bolt knob with palm and it will slide half the length of the race way. The reason for asking about primary it doesn't appear to even come close to contacting the cam surface.

Without the extraction cam it will act just like you are describing. Protrusion around the primer means nothing as far as extraction unless is from high pressure. That is not likely at all if the bolt opens with one finger. If this is on used brass then I believe it's a belt issue right above the belt. Trying to full length size excessively with your current dies will lead to head separations. A Larry Willis die will help this.

Has anyone lapped the lugs? Done to excess you can easily loose primary extraction. If not lapped then a quick trip to Remington would be the best fix. If they were lapped then AccuTig would be in order.

Don't know if lugs have been lapped bought it used mostly to get through last season with intention of rebarrel ing and blue printing. However that's been put on hold. I had always sent the bolt out to have the timed don't have a tig. Only have mig and arc. How can I check the timing. I'm pretty sure I already know but want a second opinion. Has anyone tried to mig a handle in place its a lot of heat but I can pop a tack let it cool and do it again if I have to. I also tried 3 new peices of brass with the same result.

Mig is too hot and too fast. Have it tigged by someone who knows what they're doing. Besides, takes more than just a tig machine to do the job if you want the bolt handle/cam to be positioned properly. Not a job for just anyone. As with many gun/rifle related tasks, "there's more to it than meets the eye". More 700s have primary extraction problems than don't!

That's why I haven't been doing bolts. I have been doing tool and die work for over 15 years have a bit of experience with such things :) Probably best to get some ribbon and resoider it.

Send the bolt and receiver to Nathan Dagely at SSG. He will retime the handle and tig weld it onto the bolt body. Excellent workmanship and quick turnaround. Gary

Wow that is a huge move. The factory doesn't miss that far very often. I didn't think there was .080" clearance around a bolt handle total. Was it rubbing the recess in the action? I would have liked to see a picture of that.

BTW. That was a fast repair. It's amazing you had a the right silver solder, flux, heat sink, heat paste and fixturing on hand that fast. Good job.

I didn't heated it pulled it off undercut the crap out of it then mig welded filed back in shape looks like crap but will suffice till I either make a new one or buy one just wanted to see if it could be done. Wouldn't ever do it on a customers rifle. This thing is like Frankenstein's monster anyway someone apparently tried to inlet it to take BDL bottom metal with what looks like a very dull knife so I glassed it put rem detachable magazine I had laying around on it and harvested a few deer with it. And by the way looks like someone lapped the crap out of the lugs but it measured out at .082 off feeler gauges. It's a mess but picked it up for $200 so can't fuss much I may have also have a bit better idea of what it was just wanted other opinions as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.