Problems with ADL 300 WIN MAG

Also will NOT every mig one again it can be done but flat out not worth the trouble. Now if I can just figure out the whole picture thing. That was a 5/32 punch also put a muscle brake on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 60
Also will NOT every mig one again it can be done but flat out not worth the trouble. Now if I can just figure out the whole picture thing. That was a 5/32 punch also put a muscle brake on it.
I don't understand what you're showing us with the punch . Is that how much excess weld you have from using a mig? Why did't you taper the the rear O.D. of the break back to bbl. diameter? You put it on and it's your choice, of course,,,,,, I'm just wonderin'...... And, I thouht I mentioned mig is "too hot and too fast" for welding on bolt handles (on Rem. 700s). Not that it can't be done. Sure as I say it can't someone would come along and be capable of a A+ job every time. I've mig welded bolt handles on Mausers, but there's alot more "meat" to deal with there. Tig is a lot 'cleaner' with a lot less excess weld to remove for blending the handle to the stub. The heat is controlled better, too.

There was about .015 clearance in the gap where the punch is. Thats how far it moved. I didn't taper the brake because I will rebarrel it when funds allow, don't want to buy another brake just to make this contraption pretty. You did indeed say it was to hot and to fast but like I said was gonna replace it as well so why not give it a try. Will work to keep coyotes out of my sheep. And yes there is excess weld behind the strap just worked it over enough to see if it would work. And as stated I wouldnt do this to anyone else's just playing. It's hard to work farm fix a few firearms for folks and keep up with my boys 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. If I get around to pretting up the bolt I will post some pictures of it finished. And again thank you for the help.

The place to measure is between the bolt handle and receiver. Make sure the locking lugs are 'loaded' against their abutments befor measuring with a feeler gauge. The notch in the receiver appears to be cut with a 1/2" tool and, after sampling several bolt handles at that point, the handles are in the neighborhood of .475"-.480".

Attachments

• bolt handles & trigger guards 004.jpg
    bolt handles & trigger guards 004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 65
Thank you. That's what I thought as well. To get the lugs back to the abutment had to lift just past the recess. That was where I got .082 at so I mesured off the back of the bolt to the top strap and moved it forward .080 figured .002 clearance would be sufficent. If that's wrong please correct me I try to learn new things all the time. Helps me and the others that I do work for. And you all have a lot more experience with things of this nature than I do. Thank you again. I wish there was someone within driving distance to learn from apprentice ship beats the crap out of books and videos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.